Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jill S
Returning Member

Reporting Cash Liquidation Distribution on 1099-DIV (Box 9)

I had deposit accounts at  XXXX Savings Bank when it was purchased by a credit union last year. I am now a member of that credit union. As part of the sale of XXXX Savings Bank to the credit union in 2022, I received a check for $460.41 and a letter stating, "We are pleased to inform you that you are receiving the enclosed check as payment from the Liquidation Account established by XXXX Savings Bank at the time of XXXX Savings Bank's mutual to stock conversion in 2014." The letter further states, "The funds in the Liquidation Account are being distributed to you and other eligible former depositors of XXXX Savings Bank as a result of XXXXXX Community Credit Union acquiring the assets and assuming the liabilities of XXXX Savings Bank on April 30, 2022, and the subsequent liquidation of XXXX Savings Bank. In my research, I found that apparently, by law, at the time of the XXXX Savings Bank's mutual to stock conversion, it had to create a Liquidation account for it's eligible depositors.

I have received at 1099-DIV with the amount of the check I received reported in Box 9, "cash liquidation distributions." 

I entered the information from this 1099-DIV in TurboTax and then received the messages, "We'll handle your cash distribution of $460.41 from XXXXXXX later. Just remember to go to the Investment Income section under Wages & Income. 

What, if anything, do I have to report in the Investment Income section related to this cash liquidation distribution. I've only used the Investment Income section to report on 1099-Bs I receive when I sell shares from mutual funds. I didn't receive a 1099-B for this cash distribution. By the way, I didn't own any shares in the bank's holding company. I was just a depositor at the time of its conversion from mutual to stock. I may have been notified in 2014 that as a depositor I was eligible to purchase shares (subscriber shares?), but I didn't purchase any. I was simply just a depositor at the time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Not a big deal.  If you go to wages and income and scroll down to investment income there is a section for 1099-DIV.  When you click on that it will ask you to review your entries and ask you a bunch more questions.  If you get all the way to the end it will prompt you back there as well.

@Jill S 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jill S
Returning Member

I did enter the 1099-DIV information in the Interest and Dividends section, but I was never directed back to the Investment Income section. It only gave me a message, "Just remember to go to Investment Income section under Wages & Income" when I was done entering the 1099-DIV. It seemed that the software wanted me to go to the Investment Income section "manually." The only thing that usually gets entered in the Investment Income section are 1099-Bs I receive, which I didn't for this cash liquidation distribution. 

@RobertB4444

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Dividends are also part of the investment income section.  If you get to the end and it doesn't prompt you to return there manually then it has everything it needs and you don't need to worry about it.

@Jill S 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies