Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Report Foreign Dividends Step-by-Step: RIC or other

When filling in the information from my 1099-DIV, I reported $267.14 in foreign taxes paid.  Two steps later, I am to report the portion of the dividends and distributions that was from a foreign country.  I have that number, of course, from my 1099-DIV summary.  However, I am required to check whether those foreign dividends are from a Mutual Fund/Regulated Investment Company (RIC) or other.  I cannot choose both.

In my situation, some of the dividends came from RICs (mutual funds) and some came from regular securities.  What should I check?  This might affect how the numbers are reflected on the Form 1116 if i wish to claim the foreign tax credit.

Thank you  in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes. It doesn't give you much of a choice when you answer this question. I would suggest selecting RIC since some of the dividends came from RIC.

This isn't a critical component in your return and won't raise a red flag. The amount reported will not  generate a Form 1116 because it is less than the $300 reporting threshold required to be reported on Form 1116. 

If a Form 1116 would have be generated in the return, you would have been able to allocate portions between RIC and the other securities amount but since a Form 1116 is not generated, separating the two amounts is irrelevant. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply.  I do in fact have more foreign taxes paid, but they were to specific countries from another brokerage account putting me over the $300 limit.  Which, of course, only complicates matters.  If it was only the one account, I agree with your analysis.  My hope is that the TT developers will tweak the program appropriately if enough users complain about confusing steps.  Thanks again.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I noticed in the Foreign Tax Credit section that it mentions to select RIC if any income was received from a mutual fund or other Regulated investment company.  This indicates that a further breakdown is not necessary to be reported on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies