Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxbear09

Repaid COVID Distribution to IRA at last minute, how many amendments to file?

I took a covid-related distribution in Nov 2020, spread the tax liability over 2020, 2021, and 2022, and then repaid it in September of 2023 (after filing 2022 return). Will I need to amend 2020, 2021, and 2022 returns for state and fed? (ugh.)

I notice that turbotax is allowing me to claim 1/3 repayment on my 2023 return. If I do this, can I cut my amendments down to two years? If so, which year would I cut out?

What do I need to send in with my amendment form 1040-X?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Repaid COVID Distribution to IRA at last minute, how many amendments to file?

The math is not working for me. If you filed 2020, 2021, and 2022 with 1/3 each, there is no 1/3 left for 2023. You do want to claim the repayment. You can choose based on the amount repaid and the time you want to put into it. If you repaid less than 1/3, you could just amend the last return, 2022. The more you paid back, the more returns to amend. The deadline for a refund from 2020 expires April 15 so start with that one if you are doing them all.

When you fill out the 1040x, you will enter the description for paid back loan. I doubt you have any official IRS paperwork to go with the forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies