Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental property sale inclusive of property improvement assets

I entered a sale of a rental property of went to the sale of property/depreciation on the rent and royalty summary for the home that was sold.  I have been researching and understand that you have to sell each individual asset in this process.  So I then allocated some of the home purchase price to the furniture asset and to the bathroom asset, etc.  All for market value prices.  But then turbo tax is taking the net gain on those assets and adding that to Schedule 1 as taxable income.  It's only taking the one asset for the actual house value and recording that as a capital gain.  Any idea where I am going wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@ScottM4400  were the improvements being separately depreciated ?  If so then you have to  create a sale / disposal for each such asset ( allocating the sales price to each of these .

Generally people  often will lump all the assets  together and sell everything  -- because that is how you are actually selling them.  So to answer  your question(s), you really need say more about how you have been  filing these last few years -- each asset as a separate depreciable one or the whole house  as a unit -- please tell ?

Will come back once I hear from you --please ?

Yes I have about 10 secondary assets that I have added and started depreciation on over the years (e.g bathroom vanity, kitchen re-model, couch, etc).  Most are in fact fully depreciated by now.  From reading posts I determined that for each asset I was supposed to click "yes" when prompted with "did I stop using this asset in 2023".  I then entered the sale date on all of these assets to match the date I sold the home.  And then I checked no special handling since I didn't feel like any of those requirements had been met.  Then I got to the prompt asking for the sales price.  Originally when I entered the information into turbo tax I put the entire sales price of the home against just the home asset and put $0 sales price against the 10 secondary assets.  When it calculated the gain on the home asset it was accurate but the adjusted cost basis only included the asset value and the depreciation from the single home asset.  So I was missing the additional improvement costs to increase the cost basis and it was also missing the depr. recapture on those assets.  So then I read that I should allocate a piece of the home sale against each of these 10 assets.  So for items like the couch I assigned a $500 sales price and then removed that $500 from the main home sales price so in aggregate the sales price was correct when summing all the assets.  But then this moved the gain on all the secondary assets into Schedule 1 as taxable income instead of capital gains so that looked wrong.  I'm struggling with how to move the entire gain against Schedule D but for all the assets combined.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies