Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental property sale and incorrect basis for depreciation

Context: I bought a rental property in 2019 for 341K. When reporting for taxes, I have entered basis for depreciation as 266K (valuation by the county) as I didnt understand it at that point.  266K is used for depreciation deduction of ($5244).  In 2023 return the "allocable share of the unadjusted basis immediately after acquisition" shows as $156400. 

Question: I am selling the property now for 485K after spending 20K in upgrades and about 30K in commissions/taxes.   My actual investment is 361K (341+20) and return in 455K (485-30).   How does this relate to UBIA mentioned above? Will I pay long term cap gains for $106K ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You have long-term capital gain and depreciation recapture as a component.

However, how did you arrive at the $5,244 figure? What is your accumulated depreciation figure?

$5244 was calculated by Turbotax in my 2019 tax return - first year of purchase. As I mentioned I entered my cost basis as 261K (by mistake instead of 341K. 261K is the county evaluation). It has 27.5 years  in the same line item - I am assuming it did the math.

Where do I find accumulated depreciation figure in my latest return? I have always  used Turbotax and it automatically ppopulated my rental unit data.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies