Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental property sale allocation for amortized item

I sold rental property in 2023. I understand the process of allocating sales proceed and sales expenses to land, building, and improvements. However, one of the depreciated items is categorized as "amortization": it is refinancing fees in my case. Does this item get the same treatment as the other tangible assets? Allocate sales proceeds and sales expenses and show a gain? It seems odd that you would "sell" and intangible asset such as this. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not allocate any selling price to the loan fees.  There would be no gain or loss on this asset and you can indicate it was converted to personal use which should eliminate it from next years return. Since you have fully exhausted the expense there is not need to keep it in the return in the future.

@Steve230 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Whatever is remaining for the points is claimed as a rental expense (interest) for the final  year of the rental activity. 

Thanks! However, the item is fully amortized, but that's good to know. Do you have any advice on my original question though? In regards to whether I should treat this item as an asset that is sold, allocating sales proceeds and sales expenses to it. I think not - it appears to be an item that got expensed over time but does not generate a gain or loss like the other assets. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not allocate any selling price to the loan fees.  There would be no gain or loss on this asset and you can indicate it was converted to personal use which should eliminate it from next years return. Since you have fully exhausted the expense there is not need to keep it in the return in the future.

@Steve230 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies