Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental Property common expenses - insurance amount (before or after inusrance rate discount)?

So the insurance rate for my rental property is almost $4,000 per year but since I have multiple products with the insurance provider I get a rate discount of almost $2,000. 

When I put the $4,000 amount for insurance costs, instead of the $2,000, on my property common expenses I am looking to save almost $500 on federal taxes that I have to pay. The true cost of the insurance is $4,000 but thats not what I pay so can I still claim that?

I cant seem to find the answer anywhere on if this is allowed or I have to use the after discount rate.  Can anyone help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Rental Property common expenses - insurance amount (before or after inusrance rate discount)?

If you are claiming a deduction for an expense, such as your insurance, you must claim the amount that you actually pay.  You cannot claim an un-discounted rate if you are paying a discounted rate.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks I was thinking the same thing but want to make sure.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies