turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental Depreciation

I have used turbotax premium for years to track my rental property.  In 2022 I did some capital improvements and added those and they appear on the 4562 and other forms along with the original house cost basis and depreciations.  For 2023 I started by uploading the prior year return, and it did pull in the capital improvements, but not the house cost basis, land, and prior depreciations.  I sold the house January 2023 so trying to calculate the gain, depreciation recapture, etc.  I could do this manually, but unsure why turbotax premier is not showing the house cost/depreciation.  This is the main reason I have paid for the premier version all this time so that it would track as opposed to manual entry.  Suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Rental Depreciation

Please clarify which version of TurboTax you are using - Online or Desktop? Windows or Mac? If Online, which browser(s) have you used to log into TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Rental Depreciation

TurboTax Premier - Desktop - Mac 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Rental Depreciation

Have you tried importing your prior year return into a new current year return to see if the assets were transferred properly? Sometimes the transfer process can drop certain information, and the only way to retrieve it is to start a new return.

Your other option is to enter the basis and depreciation information manually when you report the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Rental Depreciation

Yes, tried starting over, but for some reason it only pulls the capital improvements and not the rental property itself. Will manually enter, just frustrated with TurboTax that it’s not working. Thanks for your help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies