Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reduce reported income

First let me say thanks to everyone in this community that has assisted me with my taxes!

I now have yet another question. It’s not a question about any tax return but rather a question about the reported income and taxation system.

I am retired and attempting to live on my Social Security and a very small pension. The two together are a meager existence but it is about $200 over the limit to qualify for any assistance.

Does anyone have an idea of how I could reduce my before tax income? That may not be the right terminology but it would be wonderful if I could reduce my reported income.

Is there any way I can set aside money for the future, like for assisted living or funeral expenses?

For instance, I now pay my Medicare part B premium of $164.90 a month and it seems as if there is a never-ending stream of co-payments. If I made 200 dollars less a month I would qualify for assistance and not have to pay that expense.  That is only one of many things I am shut out of another big one is housing.

When I was still working there were options, like a flex fund but what can I do now that I am retired.

Any ideas or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Reduce reported income

Unfortunately funeral expenses are not deductible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies