Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recvd cash inheritance from trust of mother (home) who passed in NY state. Living in NJ , where do I report the distribution? My portion was 125k 0 Capital Gain from DOD

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Recvd cash inheritance from trust of mother (home) who passed in NY state. Living in NJ , where do I report the distribution? My portion was 125k 0 Capital Gain from DOD

If was paid to you in the form of cash, you don't report it. If they sold the investment prior to distributing to you, it is cash. 

Thank you for the quick reply. Ok , so the K1 I received means nothing???  Do I have to do a Sched D ?  There were no capital gains but may have been a slight loss.  What about NJ reporting? I am 99% sure I do not owe anything but how is it reported ( if necessary) on a NJ tax return? Thanks again.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No, if you received a K-1 then something else is going on. You do have to enter it. Just enter the form exactly as it appears and the information will flow to the proper form.

The info from the K1 does not flow to the NJ Tax return, but I may be able to enter it manually with a lil difficulty. It did flow to the Federal Return.

Last question: Do I prepare a Sched. D for the sale, even if there was no capital gain as a beneficiary?  
Thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies