Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Terryp90

Reciprocal State Tax agreement WI-IL

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Reciprocal agreements are when an employee pays tax to the state in which they live even if they physically work in the other state. 

Did your employer withhold and pay tax to the state in which you live or for the state where you work?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

you only pay income taxes on wages in the state where you have domicile even if all your work was done in the other state. . 

GENERALLY:

Schedule C and business earnings are be taxed by both states if some or all of it was earned in the non-domicile state. Investment income is taxed only in the state of domicile. both states tax rental income earned in the other state including any gain on sale.     

Terryp90

That's exactly how it worked for the past 43 years.  When my job was eliminated, and I collected IL unemployment insurance, I found out that unemployment compensation was taxable as income earned in Illinois with taxes due in Illinois - regardless of your residency (Wisconsin). I filed my 2022 taxes using TurboTax IL in addition to Turbotax Federal and Wisconsin versions.

I received a letter from the IL secretary of state correcting my IL return and taking an additional $50 out of my IL return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies