Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abiro
Returning Member

Recently married W4

Hello,

I am newly married and not sure how to fill out the W4 federal or our state W4 (CT) for both my Husband and I. We are not sure which filing status- Married filing jointly or separately will be best for us. I work one job and he works two and we have a daughter. We make around the same yearly, with him making a little bit more.

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SoCalGal22
Employee Tax Expert

Recently married W4

Thank you for asking this question about changing your W4s to reflect your new Married status with dependents. Usually Married Filing Jointly gives you a lower tax rate and more credits.  You can file Married Filing Separate if there are reasons to not file together. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/marriage/should-you-and-your-spouse-file-taxes-jointly-or-separ...

Always a good idea to revisit your Form W4 when

1) you have a second job,

Any time your income goes up, your tax liability will likely go up too, requiring a new W-4. If your extra income comes from a side job that doesn’t have any tax withholding, you could adjust the W-4 withholdings at your main job to account for the increase in income.

2) your spouse gets a second job or changes job

Any change of household income, whether up or down, could put joint filers in a different tax bracket and require both of you to modify your withholdings. To ensure accuracy, use your combined income to figure out the appropriate withholding.

I hope that answers your question about gift tax and reporting. Please feel free to give TurboTax a call anytime if you have additional questions or need assistance.

Have a great day!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies