Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Recently married formerly head of household

I recently got married. For several years I’ve claimed 2 on my W-4 and Head of Household when filing my taxes. I’ve always gotten about a $3,000 refund. For this year, my son’s other parent (who I am not married to) will be claiming him and filing Head of Household and I would assume I’ll be filing my taxes Married Filing Jointly. What should I put on my W-4 to avoid having to owe when I file my taxes for this year?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Recently married formerly head of household


The child tax credit will be absent from your return this year if no child is on your return. This credit acounted for at least $3,000 + $1,400 for the Economic Stimulus Payment last year. I also make the assumption that you may have received the Earned Income Tax Credit as well last year.  These are major credits and are far more efficient in increasing your refund than simply withholding more taxes.


If the two of you are working, you would want to consider completing Steps 1and 2 of the W-4. Step 2 would be important. Finally, step 5 would complete the process. Without the benefit of knowing what your income is or that of your spouse, these are general steps that would be necessary. Of course, in every consideration, consider reducing your income by contribution to a 403B, 402K, or even an IRA Consider using the Tax Estimator


Good luck to you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings