Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received Unexpected Tax Bill for Selling Estate Items

Yesterday, I received a large tax bill from the IRS for what they say is unreported income. In 2021, I sold items from my father's estate on eBay. Multiple tax experts told me at the time that when I reported these sales on my return from the 1099-K forms, I needed to zero out the sales by equating the cost basis to the total of the sales (my dad also died in 2021, so that's why they said to equate the sales and cost basis). So, the sales were on my return, they just weren't listed as income because of the situation.

Now, however, the IRS has shifted that income to self-employment income, thus resulting in a hefty tax bill and lots of fines and interest. 

What is the best way to proceed? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

The bill you received from the IRS would normally include instructions on how to appeal their findings if you disagree.  Those are the instructions you should follow.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

The bill you received from the IRS would normally include instructions on how to appeal their findings if you disagree.  Those are the instructions you should follow.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I assume this issue relates to a personal tax retun. Bottom line , I would do an ammended 2021 return.  Do Not ignore the IRS .Contact them.

1) Get a tax program that includes schedule C.   I use TT Home and Busines

2) Redo your tax return  as it was.- 

3) Redo using Sch. C- sale + cost of goods sold. I assume Ebay gives you the proceeds net of thei fees.. The IRS only has the income

4) Do 1040-X to show the changes

The tricky part is  what value you put on your cost of goods sold..  The IRs  may inquire

@jfields1 wrote:

What is the best way to proceed? 

Contact the IRS prior to doing anything else. Do not file an amended return before contacting the IRS and only file an amended return for this issue if the IRS requests you to do so.

You are correct that, if you sell items at or below their cost basis, the gain is not reportable.  And you are correct that you inherited items with a cost basis equal to their fair market value when your father died.  However, the IRS is entitled to see your detailed explanation of the situation, because the tax regulations assume all income is taxable unless you prove otherwise.  Just zeroing out the income is fine, until they ask for details, which they have. 

So typically, the IRS would want to see that you kept records, including a description of the item, how you acquired it, the cost basis, how you determined that basis, the selling price, and and gain or loss.  Gains are taxable but losses are not deductible.  That might be a spreadsheet of your items for sale, along with copies of the eBay listings or other statements from eBay that ties everything together.  

You may not be able to file an amended return with Turbotax, because if you report all the capital sales as zero gain, it won't change your tax due, and if there is no change in tax or refund, the program may think an amended return is not needed.

I would start by calling the IRS office that issued the notice and explain the situation.  Maybe you can send them a spreadsheet listing the items as I described above, and they will consider that satisfactory without an amended return.  (More likely, you would send them a written letter of explanation and include a copy of your statements and eBay documents to back it up.)

If the IRS wants to see a formal amended return, we can help you with that, but call first. 

All,

All of these answers have been exceptionally helpful and aided in bringing clarity to an (as you can imagine) stressful situation. I'm thankful for this great community that is willing to give so much to help people like me!

I will proceed with the advice given and provide any updates as they happen.

Thanks again!

I called the IRS today, and the person I spoke with said I needed to file an amended Schedule C. Does that make sense, given the previous details I have provided?

@jfields1 wrote:

I called the IRS today, and the person I spoke with said I needed to file an amended Schedule C. Does that make sense, given the previous details I have provided?

It is a possible answer.  It's not wrong, but it's not what I would do since this was not intended to be a for-profit business.  But if you spoke to the office that sent the notice, then that's definite, they want to see a schedule C.  The last question is do they want you to file the amended return via the normal process or send it directly to their office?  Probably the latter.  And I would include a letter of explanation in which you state your case in detail in writing.

If you report this as a "business", I still believe the actual item sales are reported on schedule D, because this is the sale of tangible personal property subject to capital gains rather than "business inventory."  You would list the items, date acquired, cost basis (stepped fair market value on the date you inherited them), and selling price and date.  That net gain or loss should flow to schedule C.  You can also include your selling expenses (shipping, credit card fees).  You will probably show a net loss, which will be deductible against your other taxable income and may even result in a refund.  You may want to upgrade to Turbotax Home & Business, which has more built-in support for schedule C.

The problem you will face is proving your cost basis.  There is a recent Tax Court case involving a woman (who happened to be an IRS agent, fancy that) who sold around $20,000 on eBay. She claimed it was only her own used items sold at less than cost, and so not taxable.  The court viewed this explanation with skepticism because of the dollar amount, and noted that the taxpayer had no records of the items, including their original purchase date and price, to support that claim.  In the end, the court determined the entire sales proceeds were taxable income because the taxpayer didn't have proof. 

So your key is accurate, complete and reliable documentation.  For each item you sold, you want a description with enough detail that a fair value can be determined, the date you inherited it, the value you assigned, how you assigned the value (market price, similar listings on eBay, appraisal, etc.), the selling date, selling price, and selling expenses.  If you are selling items in a public place like eBay, I would probably say that the final sales price is also the fair market value/cost basis, so you have no gain or loss on the sale.  This would be true assuming there is nothing special about the items and you sold them within a reasonably short time after the person's death.  If there were unusual items that sold for less than their market value, you would really have to prove that as a loss.  If there were items that sold for more than fair market value, that difference is taxable income.

Then if you report all or most of the sales as being at fair market value, so there is no gain or loss, then when you add the selling expenses, your business will show an overall loss.  That loss may be deductible against your other taxable income, meaning the amended return will show a refund.

I fully expect that when the IRS gets that, they will deny the refund, saying that losses on the sale of personal items are not deductible.  It's their way of having it both ways, your sales are a business when the IRS thinks it is to their advantage, but if it is to your advantage, suddenly its personal.  But that's the way things go.

Don't file an amended state return when you mail the federal return.  Wait and see if the federal return is accepted without change.  (They should send a letter when they close the case.)  If it is accepted, then you can file the amended state return that goes with the federal return.  If the IRS wants more changes, only file the amended state return at the end of everything.

The other route is to write a letter explaining that this is not a business.  Because they told you they want a schedule C, if you wrote a letter to say "no, this is not a business and I am not sending a schedule C", you would want a tax professional to write the letter for you so they can cite tax code, regulations and Tax Court cases that support your position.  You would still need to include a complete record of your sales as I described above (item description, inherited value, selling price, etc.) that shows that all the sales were at or below your stepped up cost basis and therefore none of the sales are taxable.  

And lastly, if you can't provide a reliable written record of the sales, you may be forced to concede that the sales are taxable and pay tax.  The IRS is not required to allow any deduction or adjustment if it is not adequately proven with reliable records. 

Thank you for your fast response! I have reached out to a trusted CPA, and he is going to help us with a letter to the IRS explaining the situation.

Usually the cost basis of something given to you would be whatever the cost basis was to the giver, eg what they paid for it.  However, since you received the items from your dad upon his death, the cost basis of those items is the Fair Market Value exactly on his date of death, e.g. there was either a "step-up" (if worth more than what dad paid) or a "step-down" if worth less than what dad paid.  You have basically proved the FMV by selling them on the open market within a reasonable period of time.  You should owe nothing and may even get a deduction for whatever fees you paid Ebay and any other expenses of the sales.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies