Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received lump sum distribution from 457 account after changing employers. Did not get a 1099-R, only a W-2 for the 457. How to file?

I changed jobs midway through 2023. My old employer had a nongovernmental 457b plan which I was contributing to. My new employer does not have this and so I was required to take a lump-sum distribution from the 457B plan. I received only a W-2 form for these distributions and did not get a 1099-R. My question is, is this correct, and would I need to pay any penalties for the early distribution from my 457b from when I changed jobs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Received lump sum distribution from 457 account after changing employers. Did not get a 1099-R, only a W-2 for the 457. How to file?

This IRS FAQ states:

Contributions to a funded plan are immediately taxable to the participants. Contributions to 457(b) plans may include employee salary deferrals and employer contributions. The contributions are reported on Form W-2.

You may take penalty-free withdrawals from your 457 account at any age after you leave your job.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies