Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ernbarb

Received from Massachusetts in 2022 excess revenue refund check from year 2021 tax revenue collections exceeded the annual tax revenue cap, do I have to claim the refund?

Is it an additional amount that I have to claim with my State refund amount?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Received from Massachusetts in 2022 excess revenue refund check from year 2021 tax revenue collections exceeded the annual tax revenue cap, do I have to claim the refund?

For income tax purposes, the IRS has decided that the Massachusetts tax refund is not taxable.  However, if you itemized your deductions and had the state and local taxes deduction, you may have to report this- in most cases if you filed your taxes before you received the special refund, it was not included as deductible taxes in 2021 so you do not report.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But where in TurboTax do I enter the funds I received from this special excess revenue check?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

To enter the special excess revenue check that did give you a benefit on your federal 2021 return:

1. Log into your return
  2. Go to the income section
  3. Select state and local tax refunds on form 1099-G
  4. Yes
  5. enter the information under Tell us about your refund

The IRS states:

If the payment is a refund of state taxes paid and either the recipient claimed the standard deduction or itemized their deductions but did not receive a tax benefit (for example, because the $10,000 tax deduction limit applied) the payment is not included in income for federal tax purposes.

Payments from the following states in 2022 fall in this category and will be excluded from income for federal tax purposes unless the recipient received a tax benefit in the year the taxes were deducted.

• Georgia
  • Massachusetts
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia

@JayStevans 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies