Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Manatee94

Received a 1099-NEC but...

Every year I file the same way using Turbo Tax/standard 1040 form. I received a 1099-NEC for the first time ever in my life from my employer. This employer only has (3) employees including me. I have worked for this employer for almost 10 years. I was asked to start helping with installations in 2021 for the first time. I drive the company truck to job sites, sign paperwork for the business if my boss is not on the job site with me, and at times I do the install for my employer by myself but most of the time another employee is with me on the job site (who is a family member of the owner). Never once did my employer/boss indicate or tell me he was going to send me a 1099-NEC which I now find out means in a nutshell I am being listed as an Independent c=Contractor.  In fact, I always thought I was an employee (I'm salary) when working at a job site and never told any different.  It was never expressed to me that I was not on the clock so to speak and not representing/working for my employer when at a job site. I received this 1099-NEC with my regular W-2 today. Now I have this 1099-NEC form and I do not own a business, I'm not a freelancer/contractor, never said I was, never thought I was, nor did my employer ever make this known to me. Based on the form it states, "If you believe you are an employee and cannot get the payer to correct this form, report this amount on the line for ""Wages, salaries, tips, etc."" of Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR. You must also complete Form 8919and attach it to your return. For more information, see Pub 1779, Independent Contractor or Employee."

So how do I incorporate this 1099-NEC amount on my regular tax form? Do I add this amount to all boxes 1, 3, and 5? Do I put this extra amount only in Box 1? Do I put this extra amount amount elsewhere on my standard tax form? I am completely baffled and beside myself over this situation. Please help if possible. TIA 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Received a 1099-NEC but...

you'll have to upgrade from the free edition since the 1099-NEC is not included in that version

enter the 1099-NEC 

you should come to a question that the employer reported income on 1099-NEC that should have been report on w-2

check this item

next question to the effect you got both forms but the 1099 income should have been on your w-2

check this item

continue

should see a message that the amount will be reported on 1040 line 1 as wages and form 8919 will be included

you'll have to pay the social security and medicare taxes. the amount will appear on schedule 2 line 6 (from the 8919 form)

you have the option of talking to your employer to get a corrected w-2 so an upgrade won't be needed 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies