Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a 1099-INT from CA Franchise Tax Board for nominal interest paid to me because they were late in issuing my tax refund in 2022 (re FY21). Do I file this?

The form however says "This form is for your records - do not file with your tax return - exception: if there is an amount in box 4, attach a copy of this form to your federal tax return'. I assume this doesn't need to be filed? However, ti's a form 1099-INT and it also says that it is being furnished to the IRS.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Received a 1099-INT from CA Franchise Tax Board for nominal interest paid to me because they were late in issuing my tax refund in 2022 (re FY21). Do I file this?

The instruction you saw to attach Form 1099-INT to your return if there is an entry in Box 4 was intended for taxpayers who are filing their tax returns by mail.

If you are e-filing with TurboTax, enter the information from Form 1099-INT in that area of the Wages & Income section. The information will be transmitted to the Franchise Tax Board if you e-file your California return.

For more information on e-filing versus mailing, see this TurboTax help article.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the response! I just got off the phone with customer service help and got directly conflicting information. She said that 1099-INTs only need to be filed if it's from a financial institution and over $10, and consequently I don't need to lodge this 1099-INT??

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, you need to enter the interest income on your income tax return.

• When you receive interest income of less than $10, the CA Franchise Tax Board is not required to give you a 1099-INT form. 
  • However, all income needs to be reported to the IRS. Enter the interest "as if" you received form 1099-INT.

To enter your interest from the CA Franchise Tax Board:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and open or continue your return
  2. Select Federal from the menu, then Wages & Income (this is called Income & Expenses in TurboTax Self-Employed)
  3. Continue and locate the section titled Investments & Savings and select Show More, then select Start or Revisit next to Interest on 1099-INT
  4. Select Yes on the screen Did you receive any investment income? then Continue
  5. If you see the screen Your investments & savings or Here's your 1099-INT info, select Add investments or Add another 1099-INT, then Continue
  6. As you're going through the interview, on the Let's import your tax info screen, select Change how I enter my form.
  7. On the How do you want to add your 1099-INT? screen, select Type it in myself.
  8. On the Let's get the info from your 1099-INT screen, enter the information. Note: there's no where on the screen where it asks for the FEIN. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies