Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmnorwood

I sold Restricted Stock Units which were awarded in 2011 and 2007 last year. How do I accurately report this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I sold Restricted Stock Units which were awarded in 2011 and 2007 last year. How do I accurately report this?

You don't state what other information you have regarding your RSU's, but follow the steps below for basic entry information:

To report the sale of RSU':

• Click on Federal
  • Click on Wages & Income
  • Scroll to Investment Income
  • Click on Show More if necessary
  • Click on the button beside Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  • Answer the next several screens. 
  • On the page "Tell us about your ___ 1099-B", enter the information exactly as it appears on the 1099-B
  • Then click on Guide me with step-by-step.
  • You will need to indicate you have sales of RSU's on the next two screens.

You will see "What You'll Need to Enter Your Restricted Stock Sale".  (See the screenshot below)  You can click on "See an example" for a sample transaction.  This screen shows you the information you need to enter your sale.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You don't state what other information you have regarding your RSU's, but follow the steps below for basic entry information:

To report the sale of RSU':

• Click on Federal
  • Click on Wages & Income
  • Scroll to Investment Income
  • Click on Show More if necessary
  • Click on the button beside Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  • Answer the next several screens. 
  • On the page "Tell us about your ___ 1099-B", enter the information exactly as it appears on the 1099-B
  • Then click on Guide me with step-by-step.
  • You will need to indicate you have sales of RSU's on the next two screens.

You will see "What You'll Need to Enter Your Restricted Stock Sale".  (See the screenshot below)  You can click on "See an example" for a sample transaction.  This screen shows you the information you need to enter your sale.

The actual problem is on the page where you are supposed to answer those things not on the 1099B.  I don't know where to find the market value of the stocks on their vesting date.  I had looked them up from a statement from the previous year, but when I entered the value, my cost basis showed $1700 while it is $0 on my 1099B, and the gain went from $302 on the 1099Bto $355 in turbotax.  I'm concerned about the discrepancy and reporting it to the IRS.  I have not idea what to do.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies