Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why 21K mortgage interest exceeds IRS limitation?

This is my first house and I bought it at 2021. Isn't the limitation 750K? Do I miss anything?

WeChat Screenshot_20230410235105.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the limitation is $750,000, unless your are married filing separately, which is $375,00. 

That is the limit for mortgage debt, not the amount of interest. If the amount in box 2 of your 1098-INT is more than $750,000, your deduction will be limited. 

There are some other factors that may limit your mortgage interest. If your mortgage not used to buy, build, or substantially improve your home, some of all of your interest will not be deductible.

If the amount of your mortgage exceeds the value of your home, your mortgage interest may be limited. 

If you have more than one 1098-INT, you have to be careful about the way you answer the questions in this section. 

If you still have questions about why your mortgage interest was limited, please respond back with more details, such as the figure in box 2 of 1098-INT and whether your have more than one 1098-INT. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for you response! Yes, the box 2 exceeds 750K. What makes me concerned, the message from TurboTax says "It's not common, but we could be missing details...", it makes I feel I did something wrong because I think it is very common to have a mortgage balance > 750K.

WeChat Screenshot_20230411174450.png

What should I fill here? Just keep it as 21,281? Or return back to fix something?

WeChat Screenshot_20230411174921.png

Thanks!

MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

No, leave as is. TurboTax automatically calculates the qualified mortgage interest based on the 750k Limit and prorates it. Looks like you got your total interest deduction based off your mortgage balance, don't change. If you have more than one qualified mortgage, it'll still go by the 750k limit unless grandfathered in; and again prorate based off maximum.

@xnervwang 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies