Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bob28

Where to report payment for a permanent easement for a pipeline

we didn't receive a 1099 form.  We normally receive a rental payment for the land in question for use in a farming operation.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Good news is that the easement income you received is not income to you if it is less than the cost of the land.  It does however reduce the cost (or basis) of the land, when and if it is sold.

If this is the case, the payment is reported in the Investment section and the cost would be the same as the income, ie, no gain or loss. 

See the following similar question I answered earlier on this topic.  If this does not answer your question, please post a comment and I can help.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3620922

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Good news is that the easement income you received is not income to you if it is less than the cost of the land.  It does however reduce the cost (or basis) of the land, when and if it is sold.

If this is the case, the payment is reported in the Investment section and the cost would be the same as the income, ie, no gain or loss. 

See the following similar question I answered earlier on this topic.  If this does not answer your question, please post a comment and I can help.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3620922

Nan3
Level 2

MichaelL1,

We received a 1099 Misc for 2019 from pipeline company for an easement across our property.  We are not selling the property at present.  I understand the easement payment is not income, and would instead be subtracted from the basis of the property if we sell.

In your to Bob28 in June of last year you said:  "If this is the case, the payment is reported in the Investment section and the cost would be the same as the income, ie, no gain or loss."

I assume you meant he enters the 1099-Misc data only when he sells the property?

Do I enter nothing on this year's taxes with regards to this 1099-Misc? 

Thanks.

Nan3

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Usually an easement is reported on a 1099-S, so you can report the same amount as the basis and there would be no gain, no taxable income. 

A 1099-MISC reports rents, royalties or compensation. 

The IRS gets a copy of all 1099-MISC and will want to see it reported on your tax return.

Which box is reported on your 1099-MISC? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nan3
Level 2

KrisD15,

The money is entered in Box 3 on the 1099-Misc.  When I put the information into TurboTax, I get taxed on it.  But the easement money is not taxable (IRS Pub 544).  Hence my dilemma.  How to I indicate the existence of the 1099-Misc without paying tax.

Nan3

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Please see KrisD's outstanding guidance on entering your easement payment from Form 1099-MISC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies