turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I see the detail for the release notes of Turbo Tax? The more details links do not work and I need to understand what the updates were intended to fix.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GabiU
Level 15

Where can I see the detail for the release notes of Turbo Tax? The more details links do not work and I need to understand what the updates were intended to fix.

Thanks to your feedback, Release Notes is making a comeback! We're working on a process to make sure you all get updated information. 

You've made a difference and we appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us on the community. 

Happy filing! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Found a TT note that says "update details" in the app have been disconnected and the online update in support will be disabled in early March. Definitely a poor move. I've always checked these to find out when the last changes that could after my return are completed.

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax no longer provides the detail of the updates.

Same problem here.  
People at TurboTax have to realize they have ZERO understanding of who "regular" people are who they so insulting state that "regular people"  "do not understand the details" as TT stated in its reply to this question. 

The more likely reason is that some management accountant worked out that TT could make $2 more profits by eliminating the actual effort of updating the web site with the details.  (as the old saying goes: accountants know the price of everything but the value of nothing).

It is even less understandable that they left the link in the software which only has the net result of annoying actual customers who waste time clicking on a link to nowhere.  It really is a concern that a software development organization would be that sloppy...makes one wonder about what other issues are taking place in the company.   

(40 years software development so I know the signs when people are cutting corners and not being through) 

Note: there is another similar thread as this one with over 180 replies - most of which say the same thing - ie this was a dumb move. 

I lost the link to the other thread but the inexplicable decision to not do something as simple as providing release notes  leaves me with very little confidence in the software.  Even the sketchiest apps for your phone give you release notes -- and this is tax prep software.  The 'Sorry, We've Moved' page, with no explanation as to why they've stopped providing simple but critical details to their customers, is disturbing, insulting,....  I've used TT for many years but this behavior has me disappointed and sadly looking for alternatives for next year.

GabiU
Level 15

@KurtL1 is correct. 

We are frequently updating our product to provide users with the best experience possible. To find out more details on updates to our product, please refer to the IRS Forms Availability and State Forms Availability FAQs.

For all other questions regarding the product, please search for Help Articlesstart a discussion, or reach out to social or phone support.

Again, we thank you all for your feedback and the community team has passed this information along to our colleagues. 

I cannot believe that TurboTax is "stranding" its customers by not including details of the updates to the program and the forms (which they used to include).  You hit the "see more details" link and it takes you to a page that just says that TurboTax Support has moved, giving no indication that there will be any such details for you to read.  I am very disappointed in TurboTax for stranding me without the information to know whether the "latest updates" that I was prompted to install would affect my already completed (though unfiled) returns.  Will TurboTax (and the various taxing authorities) keep updating their programs/forms until the filing deadline (which is now extended into July)?  If someone would be getting a refund by filing now, should they wait to file until the final deadline?  I pay for TurboTax Premier!  This is shoddy treatment of customers.  I found the program and the tech support this year to be glitchier than usual.  Please fix these things, TurboTax (I've used you for so many years and would not want to have to go to another tax prep software provider).  I always thought that TurboTax was the best of the tax prep softwares, but if you want to keep that kind of reputation, then live up to it and BE THE BEST (don't deprive your customers of explanations of updates!!!!!)

GabiU
Level 15

Thanks to your feedback, Release Notes is making a comeback! We're working on a process to make sure you all get updated information. 

You've made a difference and we appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us on the community. 

Happy filing! 

gsj5
Level 2

Hello,

I'm not sure if the reply answered the original query, "where to find the release notes" for a specific TurboTax release?  My software was updated today, however, I've no insight into what was changed, and if I need to review my already completed 2020 taxes to ensure changes don't impact the filing. 

Would you please help point me to where I can find release notes for WinPerReleaseMsi [phone number removed]?

Thank you for all your help.

Without giving a reason or any explicit notice, TurboTax quietly discontinued their former pracice of providing "release notes" with each software update.   To date, neither TT nor any "expert" has given any reason or any definitive response to customer complaints about this discontinuance.  One response just flat out said that we don't do this anymore (that only restates the fact the customers complained about).  Another said that we are working on bringing back "release notes."  I used to always at least glance at them, though they were not always intelligible.  Maybe, instead of discontinuing them, they should have worked to make them more intelligible.  If anyone is "working" to restore a real link to "release notes," I'd ask:  how hard could it be to resume doing what they'd already done for years?  If they are working to improve them, they should say so and explain why.  One response implied (but did not state) that the "release notes" only refer to changes to state or federal forms, referring users to their links to such forms.  I'll still use TurboTax; what choice do I have?  But as a long-time customer who now uses "Premier" I say:  give us an articulate reason for stopping "release notes" including a better alternative way to get that information, or resume providing "release notes" and make sure they are intelligible.       

Although it is hard to believe, TurboTax does not seem to understand the importance that at least some of its customers place on having detailed Release Notes for each update.  Posting questions here does not seem to be sufficient.  This is readily apparent when the employee's (Level 15 GabiU) reply to this posting says that "Release Notes are making a comback" and that reply was posted just short of TWO (2) YEARS ago.  May I suggest that we start registering our dissatisfaction through review and feedback channels?  While this might seem harsh, it really is inexcusable that a program for an important financial process, filing one's taxes, does not provide this information to users.

Two years since "release notes are making a comeback!" and no change. It's extremely concerning when I'm in the middle of my tax return, and I start up Turbotax one day and it just does an update. How do I know whether some question changed? Whether my data is still valid? There is no prompt on whether or not to update, nor any detail on the update. I have been using Turbotax for the past 5 years, but this is my last year. There are some good competitors out there that aren't just profiting off their name and past efforts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still waiting..........

sadly this is one area where Turbotax completely misses the boat. there is no info available on what the updates do.  i suppose you could call support.

@Anonymous - truly, I would not worry about it.  It is SO unlikely that a change would affect you.... if it did, it would be something that affects millions of others.  if you had filed by April 15, you would be none-the-wiser, just like the millions and millions of others that already filed.  

did the refund / amount due change after the update?  A dollar says 'no, it did not' - so what are you concerned about? 

Manage cookies