Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the information for the "Total of all your payments and withholding?"

Hello, need a bit help as I have not touched Turbotax for a while.

As I am inputting the refund information (1099-G) to the "State and Locality" section, there is a box asking "Total of all your payments and withholding." Which line does it refer to in my 2019 tax return forms?  

I tried to check the Q&A in this forum but not quite getting the answer I want to know about.

I used "Itemized Deduction" for filing 2019 return in 2020 as I had donation records and also mortgage payments. The 1099-G I received from state government only has the refund amount on it, no other information.

I checked the listed information under HELP, but I am still not quite understanding what exact information do I need add up and put into this box......can any one help me figure it out??  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

2019 Schedule A line 5e.

When you receive your 2019 tax year State refund, the refund is usually received in 2020. The amount of the refund may or may not be considered as taxable income on your 2020 tax year federal return. 

IS IT TAXABLE INCOME? that depends.

IF you claimed the Standard Deduction on your 2019 tax year, no, it is NOT taxable. It won't be reported on your 2020 tax year return. 

IF you Itemized Deductions on your 2019 tax year return, it COULD be taxable income on your 2020 tax return. 

Did you use the State Income tax paid as a deduction? Then no, it isn't.

Did you use the State Sales tax paid as a deduction? Then yes, at least part may be taxable. 

"TurboTax is asking about your numbers from your 2019 tax return so it can determine if the 1099-G is taxable on your 2020 tax year return. 

Since you Itemized, did you claim State Income Tax or State Sales Tax? Is Box 5a checked on the 2019 Schedule A? If Box 5a on the Schedule A is NOT checked, the state refund is NOT taxable, it is NOT reported. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello, KrisD15,

Appreciate for your respond...but.....is it 5a or 5e I need to check? Your content mentioned "5a" of Schedule A, but your topic is typed Schedule A "5e"...... I have properties, so these two numbers are very much different.... Is it 5a I need to use?  The box of 5a is NOT checked because I did not use state sales tax for reporting.

For 2019 tax return (submitted in 2020), I owed money to federal government, so I paid money out. For state government, I had refund so I had the 1099-G from state government.

I used "Itemized deduction" as suggested by the software. And as usual, I used the "state and local income." I never use the "state sales tax "as it does not really help me much and costed me a lot of time to input for nothing. (Tried to fill it once and turned out getting nothing over 1 hour of my time in typing....)

Therefore, under the "FEDERAL TAXES" section, within the "Wages & Income" submenu, for the "State and Local Tax Refund Summary", what information exactly should I put in the "Total of all your payment and withholding" blank?

I read the "HELP?" section and I thought it is supposed to be a software function to add up all those information for the users since I have already typed in my W-2s, why is it asking me to input manually? 

Does it ask me to simply add all numbers that are in "Box 17 (State income tax)" of my W-2 forms?  Or, does it ask me to put in the information of Schedule A 5a from my 2019 tax return (submitted in 2020)?

Again, the box of 5a (of Schedule A) is not checked as I did not use the State sales tax.  And please do let me know did you mean 5a or 5e of the 2019 Schedule A??  Your title showed 5e but your content said 5a........I am not sure which one to use......

In your last sentence, you wrote "If Box 5a on the Schedule A is NOT checked, the state refund is NOT taxable, it is NOT reported. " The box of my 5a is NOT checked,  So..... how do I handle this  " Total of all your payments and withholding"    item?    Do I just leave it blank?  

Appreciate

AmyC
Expert Alumni

When you look at your 2019 schedule A for itemized deductions, look at the state tax section.

• Did you mark the box using sales tax? If so, the refund is not taxable. You say you did not use state sales tax. Commonly used in states with no income tax.
  • Is the box using state tax withheld checked? Your refund may be taxable in full or part. This is the box that must be checked on your return.

In the program for 2020, it wants your 2019 information to determine how much of the refund may be taxable.

1. Look at 2019 state return. It will say something to the effect of total tax paid.
  2. Put 2019 total tax paid to your state  in the program where it asks for the total of all your payment and withholding.
  3. Tax Year of Refund- 2019
  4. Continue
  5. Did any of these apply to you? 
  6. Select your answer and continue through
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AmyC 

Thank you so much Amy.

They way you explained is much easier for me to understand and a lot clear,  right on the point for what I need to know.

I will put that "Total payments/credits" under the STATE return portion into that box. 

Really thank you. Your way of explanation really helps me a lot in understanding how to use Turbotax software  and what information to look for.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies