Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is ABLE account

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

What is ABLE account

Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) accounts allow the families of disabled young people to set aside money for their care in a way that earns special tax benefits.

• ABLE accounts work much like the so-called 529 accounts that families can use to save money for education; in fact, an ABLE account is really a special kind of 529.

Congress authorized ABLE accounts in the Achieving a Better Life Experience Act of 2014. Supporters of the law pointed out that the U.S. tax code provided significant tax benefits to parents who save money for their children's college education in 529 plans, which are named for the section of the tax code that describes them.

But parents of people with disabilities had no similar way to save for their children's future needs, such as occupational therapy or assisted living.

Further, families that did try to save money for such things often ended up costing their children access to government assistance. The ABLE Act amended Section 529 in an effort to correct this.

Setting up an ABLE account

Although the federal tax code allows for ABLE accounts, it's up to the states to actually set up and administer the programs—just as the states administer 529 programs. When you contribute money to 529 plans, the state invests the money on your behalf. Unlike with a typical IRA or 401K, you can't dictate how the money is invested outside of making choices as to how aggressive or conservative the money is to be invested, within limits.

As of 2019:

• An individual can contribute up to $15,000 a year to any ABLE account
  • A disabled individual can be named as the beneficiary of only one ABLE account
  • The person must have been blind or disabled before age 26 to qualify
  • The contributions may be able to qualify for the Saver's Credit

Tax benefits of ABLE accounts

Contributions to an ABLE account are not tax-deductible, but all investment earnings remain untaxed as long as money taken from the account is used for "qualified disability expenses." Such expenses include, among other things:

• Medical treatment
  • Education, tutoring and job training
  • Special-needs transportation
  • Assistive technology
  • Housing
  • Legal and administrative fees

As with education 529 plans, taxes apply if money is withdrawn from an ABLE account for something other than qualifying expenses. Usually, the beneficiary will have to:

• Pay income taxes on the portion of the withdrawal that consists of investment earnings, as opposed to contributions
  • In addition, a 10% tax penalty will apply

Accounts not counted as assets

A key feature of ABLE accounts is that the first $100,000 in an account is not treated as personal assets of the account's beneficiary. This is important because federal law generally bars individuals from receiving assistance such as Medicaid, housing aid and Supplemental Security Income if they have more than $2,000 worth of financial assets.

Severely disabled individuals often need these government services, especially after their parents die or can no longer care for them. Advocates for the disabled have long argued that the $2,000 cutoff effectively punished those whose families planned ahead.

Source: TurboTax Article

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What is ABLE account

Rollover from 529 to ABLE (529A)

I'm looking to do an indirect rollover from a 529 to an ABLE account.  I am the owner of the 529 while my child is the beneficiary.  Under ABLE, I understand that the owner and the beneficiary must be the same person.  It it therefore necessary for the withdrawal from the 529 be made in my child's name?  If not, and considering that the rollover itself will be a non-taxable event, are there any tax implications or other good reasons to doing it in either my name or my child's name?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies