Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We Noticed You Paid Too Much Soc Security Tax?

I have entered 1 W-2 into the Turbotax wages and income portion for Federal Taxes. When I finished, TurboTax showed a message "We Noticed You Paid Too Much Social Security Tax" and said that I reported multiple W-2s from the same EIN, and that they had a discrepancy in the SS Tax Withheld field. 

As I said, I have only entered a single W-2 information, I do not know why it says I entered multiple. Also, the discrepancy is $1. I do not know where this discrepancy comes from. I went back and looked and I have entered the SS Tax withheld field exactly as it appears on the W-2, but it seems like TurboTax might have rounded it up to the nearest dollar and I am wondering if that is the cause of the discrepancy?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Start by looking at the list of W-2s, do you really have more than one?  When you use Turbotax year over year, it will create a blank W-2 for your last year's employers with the name and address already filled out to save time but the dollar fields blank.  You may have accidentally entered information in more than  one W-2.  You may need to delete the extra one, or delete them all and start over.

SS should be 6.2% of your SS wages on the W-2

Thank you for your quick reply.

I imported my previous year tax return info and so when I entered all of the fields for this year, the employer name and EIN were already filled in from last year's return. I have the same employer and this information is still correct. However, all of the other fields were blank and I entered new data from this W-2. The data that I entered for the SS Tax Withheld is correct, is there a way I can accept that amount instead of the other conflicting amount which is only $1 more? I do not know where this amount came from.

Yes, but it is also saying that there is another dollar amount that I did not enter, that is $1 more than the amount I entered. I do not want this dollar amount, I want the one I entered. How do I get this changed?

It is not going to impact your taxes if you simply change the SS tax to 6.2% of the soc sec income

What is the amount in box 4 of your W-2?

Are you still seeing the program says you have two-W-2s from the same employer.  But there is only one in the list?

The amount on box 4 of my W-2 is $2769.51, which is the amount I typed.

The message that says I paid too much, shows the SS Tax Withheld as $2770, and shows Excess Amount $1.00.

I think there is only 1 employer in the list. Im not quite sure how to see a list. All I know is I only actually entered 1 W-2 and I go back and I cannot see where there is any other information or conflicting information besides the information that I entered. 

The program gives me 2 options. I can select that they are different employers, or that all W2s with the same EIN are from the same employer.

I assume I need to pick the 2nd option however I am just trying to understand how and why there is a descrepancy. 

Your box 3 wages are $44669 more or less? It sounds like TurboTax and your employer are rounding off your SS withholdings slightly differently. Try changing box 4 in the program to $2769.00. The IRS won’t care.

yes box 3 is 44669.44. Like I mentioned in my original post it seems to be a rounding issue but I didnt know how to correct it.

I have changed my SS withholding to $2769.49 and I no longer receive the message.

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies