Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W4 VS W4P Pension

Hope I will get a short answer. I had a set amount deducted from my pension, since I retired in 2018. I had a flat rate easily set, using the W4, which could be altered as need be, from year to year. Now the W4-P is a different animal. I believe I have the info I need to accomplish the amount I want withheld, using the new form.

Example: I want a total of $200 withheld.

So Step 1, line c: status: married filing jointly.

The amount the payee (me) makes is $2190 monthly. The payor (who I get my pension from) calculates the withholding amount, using the Wage Bracket Method Tables from Publication 15-T. The corresponding withholding amount for $2180, married filing jointly, is $117.

I skip steps 2 and 3 as they do not apply.

Without specifying anything else, the total withholding would be $117, which is short $83 of what I want.

So, I go to Step 4 (c) and enter the “extra withholding” of $83. This will make the total withholding from my monthly pension, $200. Sign and done 😊

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

W4 VS W4P Pension

Hi FlaSteve!  You are correct -- the W-4P is a different animal altogether.  You've definitely read the instructions.  You are determining how to fill out the form exactly right!  I think you may have an older version of the IRS Pub 15-T.  According to the new one (for 2022) the standard withholding would be $110 instead of $117.  Here's a link to it:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15t.pdf

You're doing a great job filling out the Form W-4P.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

W4 VS W4P Pension

Critter-3 gave me some help on the Publication, it is correct for $2190, at $117 as its in the $2180-$2210 column. Double check me on that. I appreciate your kudos, and hope that it will get others the info in similar situations.

Thank you,

Steve

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies