Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-4 for my wife and I and our College Student...

what do I need to put on my W-4 and my wife?  File as Married.  We have done Standard deduction the past 4 years and not itemized.  I expect the same this year.  We have investements with Edward Jones and had an increase in 2021 in dividends/Interest that made us pay addtional taxes.  This year I don't expect the same as 2021.  What would be the recommended number to claim on our W-4 for 2022 now... even though the year is almost over.  We like to have more in our pocket, but have a refund of around 1500-2000 if possible.

Also what will my College Student put on her W-4 for her job. Shlives at home and goes to school full-time. She has a part time job that she has to fill out a W-4 for during the year...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

W-4 for my wife and I and our College Student...

Hi Mitc3915, thanks for the questions.

Highly recommend using

IRS Tax Withholding Estimator

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

to see how your refund, take-home pay or tax due are affected by withholding amount;

to choose an estimated withholding amount that works for you (a refund approx. $1,500 - $2,000).

Regarding the full time college student (assume your dependent, living at home, supported by you) W-4: 

Single dependent filing requirements - 

• Unearned income was over $1,100.
  • Earned income was over $12,550.
  • Gross income was more than the larger of $1,100 or earned income (up to $12,200) plus $350.

If she had no Federal income tax liability in 2021 and she expects to have no Federal income tax liability in 2022, she can write "Exempt" on Form W-4 in the space below Step 4(c).

If she has filing requirement, recommend to use the above Estimator link as well.

Hope the above helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies