Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Upgrade Crashes

I just purchased Turbo Tax Deluxe 2017 for Mac OSX (10.14.4). I now realize I need to upgrade to the home business version. When I try from within the app, it crashes. Are there other ways to get this upgrade? Obviously I don't want to spend $120 when I just spent $80.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Upgrade Crashes

The Deluxe can handle the same things as Home and Business.  The latter provides more help and guidance in regards to self-employed business, such as home office expenses, etc., but both editions prepare the same forms.

Have you installed all the latest updates since installing Deluxe, and have you restarted your Mac?  If not, try that to see if it makes a difference.

I'll see if I can get @ macuser_22 to make a suggestion as to why it may be crashing.

If you end up needing to phone TurboTax Support, they are closed for today, but tomorrow they will be open from 5AM Pacific to 9PM (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) due to the filing deadline.

You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Upgrade Crashes

Thanks, that’s helpful. The deluxe is not asking me about deductions for my home office, which is why I’m trying to upgrade. 

everything is as up to date as I can make it and I did restart. I also notice that it downloads my state (CA) and says it installed it, but it’s not installed. I know it’s 2017 but it should still work, right? 

Upgrade Crashes

The Deluxe desktop program does have an interview for home office expenses for Schedule C.  All the desktop software editions handle the same forms.    The home office questions are under the "Business Expense" category, then subtopic "Home Office Expenses."  It just doesn't have the extra help and guidance that Home and  Business provides.   I don't have the Deluxe software, so I can't make you a screen image specific for Deluxe.  I can make one for Home and Business, but it's "look" and navigation are different and might confuse the issue.

There is a known issue where some Mac users who downloaded California state programs, in which the state software did not extract after downloading.   See if this solves the CA state issue:

1. Select the Go menu.
  2. Choose Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library and select Go.
  4. Navigate to the Application Support folder.
  5. Open the TurboTax folder.
  6. Open the forms folder and extract the state zipped folder listed there.
  7. Once completed, relaunch TurboTax.

Upgrade Crashes

As for the home office expenses, there should be a search tool in your Mac program.  I use Windows, which has a different look, and I'm not very familiar with a Mac.   Try going to the top gray bar and see if there is a "Search Topics" below your name.   Then enter "home office" without quotes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies