turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CAD1

upcoming tax question

I have filed married but separate for the last 7 years. My husband passed away this past April. He was the stepfather to my son who was a dependent. Do I qualify to file as a Widower or just as Single? One of the 5 questions asked as I googled it was if I HAVE filed married and joint or if I COULD file married and joint. I filed separate but technically I could have filed married. It implied that I could get the widower credit by filing widowed. We were keeping our things separated due to some of his tax related things. I don't want to be tangled with his stuff and I don't know if filing as a widow would just be stating a fact or if it would tangle me up with him. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

upcoming tax question

In the year of death your only choices are married filing jointly, married filing separately or Head of Household if you have a qualifying child.   

Then in the 2 tax years  after the year of   death you can use the Qualifying Widow status  which gives you more benefits  than HOH.    Read the rules starting on page 5 :  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies