Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Uncollected Social Security and Medicare taxes on W2

My wages are included in W2 and federal taxes have been withheld. Due to some confusion regarding my residency status, Social Security and Medicare taxes were not withheld. My employer is not responding for requests to amend the W2. I would like to pay my share of uncollected social security and medicare taxes.

When I look at adding income via Less Common Income -> Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C... to include a form 8919, TurboTax also adds federal and state taxes for the amounts added this way. I would like to just pay additional Social Security and Medicare taxes but not incur additional federal and state taxes. How do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There is no way to do what you are trying to do. The employer has to make the correction. You cannot do it yourself. It's not just that TurboTax can't do it. The reason that TurboTax can't do it is that there is no provision for it on the tax forms.

There is no place on a tax return to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes in your situation. Form 8919 is not appropriate because that form is for wages that were not reported on a W-2. That's why the income on Form 8919 gets added to your taxable wages. But your wages were reported on your W-2.

What would have to be done to correct the situation is more than just a corrected W-2. The employer would have to pay both the employer's share and the employee's share of the unpaid Social Security and Medicare taxes. And you would have to repay them for the employee's share that was not deducted from your pay.

I don't know what to tell you to do if the employer is not responding, or refuses to make the correction. There might not be anything you can do.

To avoid any further problems, make sure that Social Security and Medicare taxes are being properly withheld from your pay now.

Thanks a lot for the detailed response @rjs. It helps me understand what's not possible to do in this situation!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies