Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unclaimed money from International Stocks Sold

I used to work for the Cable & Wireless Communications INC. in US. The ‘mother’ company is in United Kingdom.  In 2001, the company in US filed bankruptcy.  As an employee, I was given some company stocks about 30 yrs ago and I didn’t claim these stocks.  Recently I received a letter from UK, informed me that I have unclaimed money, $3,750 USD, and they can wire money to my bank in US.  These are “The holdings are no longer valid for shares, there was just uncased amounts from the 2006 disposal of US held shares”. I have a few questions:

1. I checked my bank, and it would cost $100-$116 per international wire transfer and I have 2 transactions.  This ‘payment’ is in relation to the disposal of US held shares by exercising compulsory transfer provisions.  I did some research and couldn’t find if I have to pay Income and Virginia State taxes.  If so, under what category (tax form)?
  2. Do I need to pay taxes to the UK?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you must report this income on your United States (US) income tax return.  

It should be reported as a sale with no cost, unless you have a record of the item's cost. Here's the path to follow to enter the transaction in TurboTax:

1. Start at FEDERAL TAXES, then select Wages & Income 
  2.  You might see "I'll choose what I work on" > Scroll to Investment Income 1099 B, Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Other 
  3.  Answer the question Did you sell any investments?   
  4.  Did you get a 1099 B  yes, then select  "I'll type it myself'
  5.  Enter the UK-Company Name as bank or brokerage
  6.  Enter 1099 B info as Sale #1 with cost data if you have it, otherwise, you can add the fees charged as the cost basis.     

It's quite possible when you get the money the United Kingdom (UK) tax has already been withheld.  If so, you would be entitled to the foreign tax credit (Form 1116).   

The letter likely shows the date or you can use the date on the letter.  It would be best to wait for the transfer to see if the UK tax has been withheld, if possible.  You can choose to file an extension or your can file your return and then do an amendment to take advantage of the credit for the taxes paid to the UK. 

I can't be certain of the UK requirements, here is a link for nonresident review: Tax on your UK Income if you live abroad

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi DianeW777, 

Thank you so much for your detailed solutions.   🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies