Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Two zeros get added to an entered number (the number gets multiplied by 100) each time I press the Enter key!

He is not the only one. I also live in Europe and just bought a new computer as my trusty old Windows 7 machine from the US had slowed to a crawl, and Turbotax refused to work on it. Rather than attempt to upgrade the old machine to Windows 10, I got a new one. Guess what. German kezboard layout, etc etc.

But bizarrely Turbotax was ok till I started messing with the regional settings. I never connected the problem to that till reading this thread. I changed everything I could find in settings to US formats and now TTX is happy.

I agree it is definitely a bug. Number should not increase by a couple orders of magnitude when you hit return, no matter what. I agree with the suggestion that for TTX, it should insist that whatever is typed in is in US (IRS acceptable) format. Anything else should produce an error message. And never should a number self multiply by a 100 when the user hits return!

Two zeros get added to an entered number (the number gets multiplied by 100) each time I press the Enter key!

@ZedpeeThank you!  I appreciate your chiming in.  I have been suffering in silence for a number of years making do with work-arounds, but never bothered reporting this bug --- waiting for someone else to do so.  Finally, I decided I should be that someone else!  I know I'm not the only expat out here and many, if not all, expats are affected by this bug too (many countries do not use the US number convention).  But unless other expats also report that they encounter this bug, Turbotax will not have an incentive to allocate resources to resolve it.  So, thank you for joining this thread.  I'm glad you found the discussion in this thread informative.

There must be more of us. The strange thing is that for me everything worked until very recently. even on the new computer. but I must have changed the number format somewhere inadvertently, as it suddenly started doing exactly what you described.

I got around it by only entering whole numbers, but there are places that a decimal is required and I could not find a workaround. Then I did a google search and found the thread. So glad I did.

But yes it is not normal behaviour. Either refuse my input and tell me, or take it, but do not change my numbers!

Good luck!

Thanks @Zedpee @fa123 for sharing your experience with us. I will be submitted this information to the development team for future enhancements for the coming tax season. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies