turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year 2020: TurboTax Updates on Unemployment Tax Relief

The update was for online and hasn't been completed for desktop CD versions.

There are two components here...online and desktop.  Online gets updated sooner than desktop.  That's what happened with the 8915-E update for waiving the early distribution penalty on 401k plans.  Online users were able to access the update well before the desktop users but eventually, everyone had accessibility.

I haven't personally seen any updates in a while but hopefully, we will have one later today, or early tomorrow.

alec

Well it's already the 25th of March and Turbo tax has not updated for the unemployment tax relief calc yet. Can someone tell me when to expect the update?

IR3
Level 2

hi, you are not only one to switch, I had long conversation with them today and update will be available tomorrow, but do not hold your breath.

Everyone needs to be patient.  Those programmers in Pakistan aren't familiar with the IRS code.

😂🤣😅

Your website indicates that changes have been made to the software to reflect changes for the American Relief Program..particularly the Unemployment change. I have manually checked for updates as you suggested but I'm told that my version is up to date, yet I do not see a change in my tax liability. What can I do?

IR3
Level 2

I had long conversation with them today and update will be available tomorrow, but do not hold your breath.

Did you speak with someone who understands English? Those Pakistani customer service representatives are trained to agree with everything those dumb Americans say just to get you off the phone. 😂

As you are asking the question to the community, you will find that if you search the subject matter, there are thousands of us out here waiting for the desktop versions to be updated.  TT has updated their free online only.  There has been NO update of the desktop versions.  WE are being promised one day, then another.  It is a wait and see, OR you could maybe request a refund for the software and go to H&R block software, because H&R block has updated their software over a week ago.  There is NO WORD as to when TT will install the update needed for the Unemployment credit.  I will wait a day or two, then I think I am going the refund my payment to TT for this software, since they cannot keep up with the other software companies.

just so you all know TAX ACT HAS UPDATED THEIR PROGRAM AND IT IS WORKING FINE

Will the adjustment to unemployment also apply to income used to calculate taxable social security

No update yet, despite what TT is telling everyone, which isn't very much - very disappointed in Turbo Tax; to leave their paying customers hanging without adequate communication shows a total lack of and unacceptable regard for paying customers.  This will most likely be my last year of using their products.   I'm not willing to continue to pay their high prices when less expensive and better quality products, with better customer service, are available.  They have not even acknowledged this issue on their website; tax time and this past year have been difficult enough without TT adding to the stress by not providing us with what we have paid for.   For my family, this product is useless without the update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When the update is finally released, please make sure it is correct because the IRS updated the guidance on Tuesday, March 23 to clarify that unemployment income does not count toward the $150,000 threshold to determine whether the exclusion applies. So if the update includes unemployment income in the calculation to determine the threshold it would be incorrect.

Here is an article on the subject: https://www.accountingtoday.com/news/irs-expands-unemployment-tax-exclusion-to-more-taxpayers

TurboTax in-house experts, please confirm TurboTax is going to release the update in accordance with the March 23rd IRS guidance!

Thanks. 

Today is 25th..... Not done yet!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies