Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2021 Won't Install

Thank you for the assistance on this @Rip in Franklin!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rrhodes22

Nice response from the "expert" but calling the number just gets you to a bot who does not

hear well and does not answer any specific questions about downloading, not even offering a live person to talk to or get help. 9 year user of TTAX and this year is a total waste of time. CD downloads but fails to open after going through the updates. Just gives a box that says "failed" and lets me put in my issues with no commitment to do anything about the problem.  I have tried 6 times, same results and no response from Intuit. I am not technically inclined so the help on this site was good for some but I cannot figure out the "fix" and there seems to be no one at Intuit who cares since you cannot get to a live technical person. I guess I will be using different  tax prep software from now on. 

Shasta11
Returning Member

This worked for me last couple of years. Set up a new user on your PC making sure you enable it to have administrator privilege's. Then when signed in as that user, go to TTax website and download your purchased addition again. Open and run the installer and hopefully it will install OK under this new user. You will have to enter your license code from your original purchase but hopefully will then open the program. Bit of a pain to use it this way but at least it will still be on the same computer. 

GSShelby

Thank you!  Changing the location of the temp file worked!  I was on Tech Support for several hours tonight.  Kelly was very patient and knowledgeable, but nothing was working.  We were trying registry checks, SFC, and so many other things.  It seems like this should be a known support issue, just from the number of people on this thread.  At any rate, it's now loaded and running.  Hopefully that's the end of the issues.

I agree @GSShelby! Much easier and less risky than hacking the registry, hoping SFC finds and fixes an error, or (as some have been told to do) creating a whole new user with admin privileges and installing from that user, instead. This really is a problem that should be fixed in the TT installer.

RFP
Returning Member

👍

making a directory, changing the environment,

praying that turbo tax will install is not what you expect from a mega company.

marcmullins
Returning Member

Thanks!!  Changing the environment variables per instructions worked for both 2021 and 2020 Deluxe versions.

BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for letting us know this workaround worked for you, @marcmullins. We have reported this workaround to make it more readily available for other users facing the same issue. 

It worked by changing TEMP and TMP variables to C:\Temp and disabling the antivirus. 

This is the best and easiest way. I followed this instruction and got it installed.

thank you so much.

Liz W

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

We are happy to see your issue was resolved. If you have any more questions, please feel free to reach out again. 

dkstl

I have similar problem with a downloaded TurboTax Premier on WIN 11.  Reached out to TurboTax and they were no help.  50 minutes on with a person reading through checklist of obvious items did nothing.  Then transfered to another tech, supposedly more knowledgable - which was not the case.  Then "transferered" (disconnected).  Over an hour with no result.  

mdbink

You are correct. I spent 2 hours on phone with turbo tax and they could not resolve the issue. Stated there was something wrong with my PC. Found your article after getting off the phone. Changed the temp directory and installation worked right away.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please refer to the post by @Joao Gilberto here

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance. @dkstl  @mdbink

BrianB_88

I also was unable to install Turbotax Deluxe 2021 either from the CD or from the downloaded file. I found the solution when checking the properties of the downloaded executable for Windows compatibility. The Windows Compatibility Troubleshooter would not run and gave an error. I looked online for a solution to that and found the solution was creating a new C:/TEMP folder and then pointing future Windows install TEMP and TMP files to use that new location using Windows Control Panel's environmental variables setting. Windows Compatibility Troubleshooter now recognizes the Intuit executable and it installs just fine. I compared the original TEMP folder to the new one's full access permissions under file properties and in the original folder, all listed user full access check marks are greyed out. In the new folder there is an additional user added called "Authenticated Users" and it has a full access check mark that is bold.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies