Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sergio2339
Returning Member

Re: Transferring Depreciation and Amortization from Turbo Tax Premier to Turbo Tax Business

I have a question for you regarding land and improvement values

I get the cost of the land. Turbotax asks for an improvement value. On my Tax Bill, the following numbers appear:

- LAND VALUE = 46,900

- BUILDING VALUE = 318,100

TOTAL VALUE = 365,000

ASSESSED VALUE = 146,000

What do I put on the turbotax "IMPROVEMENT VALUE".

Is the assessed value the improvement value? Or is it the building value? Or neither?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Re: Transferring Depreciation and Amortization from Turbo Tax Premier to Turbo Tax Business

Its' the building value in your case.

On some property tax bills, (such as mine) they call it "improvement value", which is anything that "improves" the land. Could be a building, a fence installed by the land owner, A road, power/communications/water/sewage/drainage lines, etc.

Typically on a tax bill, the total(tax)  value is determined by adding together the land value, and any other values used for determining the tax value. In your case, land value plus building value adds up to the total value.

Note that tax values have nothing to do with any other "total" values.  In simple terms, the program is asking you for tax values, so that it can determine what percentage of your total cost basis (what you "actually" paid for the property) gets allocated to the land, which is not depreciation, and the percentage allocated to the structure which "does" get depreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies