Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ottokahn

Do I have to use Form 1099-MISC to report clergy income?

My church sends me my income statement on a 1099-MISC for clergy services but if I try to report it using 1099-MISC it gets taxed.  Is there another way?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

This income is taxable to you. 

Pastors fall under the clergy rules.  They are considered a common law employee of the church so although they should receive a W2, (some churches are still issuing 1099-MISCs) their income is reported in different ways.

• The salary from the 1099-MISC is reported on the Schedule C and must be included for self employment tax.
  • Money received from weddings, offerings, special events outside their church would be reported on Schedule C for self employment.
  • Housing allowance is not reported as income for personal income tax but is included for self employment tax.
  • Expenses related to the salary are deducted as miscellaneous job related expenses on itemized deductions.
  • Expenses relating to other income reported on Schedule C would be entered on that schedule.

Be sure to select the clergy option when entering the W2 and TurboTax will do all the calculations.

• Click here for clergy income and expense information.
  • Click here for clergy information from the IRS.

For other details on how you enter clergy income see the information below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3850695

I have an approved IRS Form 4361 on file since 2004. It states clearly on the form that my clergy income is NOT subject to self-employment tax.

Please advise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies