Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Taxes won't efile- says update needed

My problem is with e-filing my 2020 taxes for Fed and Michigan. I'm NOT trying to file 2019. The instructions that were provided address the 2019 taxes. 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, you are unable to e-file prior year tax returns in TurboTax.  We only e-file the current year return in TurboTax.

You must change the 2019 return to a paper return and print it out and mail it in for filing.

I guess I'm not making myself clear. It is 2021 and I'm trying to file 2020 taxes. I get everything done including paying $20 to e-file Michigan State taxes, I hit the transmit and it tells me there is an update to the software needed before I can send in the taxes. I go up to the online area and do the check for updates and it tells me that my software is up to date so it is a loop--- need to do an update but no update is available. I installed the CD software in Michigan before coming to our place in Florida for a month, I would delete and reinstall the 2020 Deluxe software but the CD is back in Michigan. I do find posts about the same problem happening in the 2019 version and there is instructions for a "fix" but I don't see any fixes in place for the 2020 version. HELP

@satelliteragtop wrote:

I guess I'm not making myself clear. It is 2021 and I'm trying to file 2020 taxes. I get everything done including paying $20 to e-file Michigan State taxes, I hit the transmit and it tells me there is an update to the software needed before I can send in the taxes. I go up to the online area and do the check for updates and it tells me that my software is up to date so it is a loop--- need to do an update but no update is available. I installed the CD software in Michigan before coming to our place in Florida for a month, I would delete and reinstall the 2020 Deluxe software but the CD is back in Michigan. I do find posts about the same problem happening in the 2019 version and there is instructions for a "fix" but I don't see any fixes in place for the 2020 version. HELP

Are you using a Windows or Mac?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks for your reply I'm using windows 10 CD version 

I am having the same problem, but the website clearly says the forms are available. (I also requested, and later got, and email to inform me they were available.)

I have uninstalled and re-installed Turbotax Business for Windows, I have rebooted the computer, I have waited a week. Nothing has worked. C

Is there a way to force an update?

I just got off the phone with turbotax support and they are saying the problem is the IRS isn't accepting e-files until Feb 12. I imagine if thats the case the website will be super busy so I'm going to wait until next week. 

Good Luck

@satelliteragtop wrote:

Thanks for your reply I'm using windows 10 CD version 

Then try a manual update.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/what-is-a-manual-update/01/26074

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I’m having the same problem. I’ve never had an issue with TurboTax before. Very frustrating. I’ll wait until after the 12th to try again. 

lewmc50
Returning Member

Did anyone get this problem to clear.  Tried downloads, restarts, still it won't clear to transmit.  I've been a Turbo Tax user since 2002.  Never had this problem before.  Why did Turbo Tax not do a correction download on the package to correct.  Help!

lewmc50
Returning Member

Tried all of that.  Still won't transmit.  I expect a lot more from Turbo Tax than this!  This is a real pain in the ###! 

After a week or two, it finally just updated and worked for me. I had tried multiple times before that and was told it was all up to date. I assume that Intuit has not correctly implemented the update checking, so that it had to wait until the software needed to be updated for some other reason.

All of my other efforts were a waste of time.

ekf_66

the federal tax wouldn't efile - says update needed. what do i need to do?

The only thing that worked for me was waiting (a week or two). TurboTax should give you the option to force an update, but they don't, and apparently the program sometimes fails to recognize that the files it told you to wait for are ready, so it doesn't update until something happens that it recognizes as requiring an update.

app1hxw
Returning Member

I did check update again and again, no useful, What I can do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies