Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Erin3418

Taxes being taken out

I opted to have my taxes taken out the whole time while receiving unemployment. I did my taxes through turbo tax and have since received what I was stated. Do I now have to go back and amend my taxes that have already been filed? Or will they automatically amend them on their own? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes being taken out

You may be due a refund if you filed your tax return before the tax law changed in regards to unemployment income.  If this is the case, IRS is supposed to recalculate your tax return for you and issue any refund due.  If you filed your return after the tax law changed, then the software already calculated the exclusion correctly for you.  If you need help determining when you filed, feel free to click on the Live Help icon within TurboTax to speak with a Tax Expert.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
newenglandpro
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes being taken out

Hello!

It’s a bit tricky. Generally, you don’t have to do anything to receive a federal refund but many states make you amend your state return.

The IRS will adjust your return and the amounts for any deductions and credits you claimed on it. For example, say you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) on your return. And because the new unemployment exclusion changed your income level, you would now be eligible for an increase in EITC amount. The IRS would adjust your return for you and send you the additional refund amount with your additional unemployment benefits. You are all set.

Here’s a link with more information about the unemployment refund from the turbotax blog (Feel free to subscribe to the blog its full of great tax info you may be interested in (especially if you are a tax nerd like me!)

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/am-i-eligible-for-the-new-unemployment-income-relief-49427...

Hope this helps! If not reach out to connect again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies