turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dsk1
Returning Member

taxable portion of 1098t not correctly added to taxable income

Part V of the student worksheet line 9 shows I have a taxable part of $1000 (this is from my 1098T).

This is correct. However it does not change my taxable income. Why ??? It does not show up in Schedule 1 additional income, but the taxable portion of my 1099Q does show up there. I fact I can change the number in my 1098 T to make the taxable portion very large and it never changes my taxable income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

Can you please clarify? Is Box 5 on your 1098-T more than Box 1? What did you include as expenses to make the 1000 taxable? I am assuming you are the beneficiary of a 529? Did you take out more from your 529 than your tuition? Did you receive any other financial assistance like a Pell grant or scholarship reported in Box 5?

Try going to edit by the student from the 1098T page and enter your non-qualified and qualified expenses. Including room and board. The software will tell you how much is taxable from your assistance that may need to be included in other income MISC INCOME.

Read this article about Pell grants and scholarships reported in Box 5 of your 1098-T even if it exceeds Box 1. If this is the case. Once you enter your non qualified and qualified expenses, if you need to report taxable income in your 1040 from education assistance like the Pell or Scholarships, this would need to be done under INCOME>MISC INCOME>OTHER INCOME NOT REPORTED ELSEWHERE> enter Pell/Scholarship and amount of taxable assistance. This is different than entering your 1099Q and calculating taxable income, which is done automatically from software. If you had other assistance like a Pell or Scholarship, read the above article and enter your non-qualified and qualified expenses to see your taxable amount that needs to be reported in MISC INCOME.

Also, after editing amounts in 1099Q, go to your 1098T to update and continue until your get to the page that says "Maximize my education deductions". This will change your amount due or refund, if applicable. Sometimes, depending on aid received it is a two step process.

@dsk1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dsk1
Returning Member

The IRS website topic 421 Scholarships, states the following "If the taxable amount wasn't reported on Form W-2, enter it on Line 10 of Schedule 1. " Schedule 1, Part 1, 8 r, is for Scholarship and fellowship grants not reported on Form W-2. Why won't TurboTax allow me to enter it there?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

To clarify, where are you looking for your taxable income number? 

Are you filing as a dependent? 

Yes, IF A SCHOLARSHIP AMOUNT IS TAXABLE it will show up on Schedule 1 line 8r. 

Did you finish the interview in the education section? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies