Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Treatment of Straddles

What is Tax Treatment of Straddles? I have heard it is like WASH sales rule where one contract will make money and other will lose money. Money lost (if closed) will be added to cost basis of money making contract.

Could someone explain rationale and if please give some example?

What is Tax Treatment of Strangles? Strangles are NOT same strike price which is a feature of Straddles?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No offense, but the substance of this thread is why your previous threads "disappeared"; asking overly broad-based questions which, apparently, do not relate to your particular income tax situation, but for no reason other than to satisfy idle curiosity.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/1092

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/what-is-form-6781-gains-and-losses-from-s...

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/052805.asp

Straddles are very common Options Trade. In Options world that's what they talk about all day.

Most people who trade, "lose" money by trading. There are tons of posts here where people lost money by trading and now asking tax information, reporting tax losses. In media there are many news reports how someone made money in stock XYZ but they don't mention how many lost money. More importantly people who lose money don't want to admit losses and be mentioned to their friends/family and esp. to whole world.

Why people lose money by trading

1. Lack of Knowledge (knowledge does NOT mean what straddle is, Knowledge means all aspects of trade and mechanism of trade)

2. Lack of Planning

3. Lack of discipline

If I have Not traded straddle does not mean I am bit naive or something like other poster (tagteam) mentioned idle curiosity. It means it was out of my comfort zone. Now I am more comfortable with complicating trades, I should know all aspect of trade. By the end of day in taxable account after Tax profits count.  On surface Straddles sound exotic but in reality it is not as simple as it sounds when it comes to risks and profits are not as glorified as mentioned in media or newsletters.

I did NOT realize you guys or moderators are so swallow they will delete  or disappear my posts due to open ended question to a hypothetical situation.

It seems like this message board is, going to ER after leg is broken and I am more interested in what are consequences of broken leg and what should one can do not to break it in first place!

Instructions Form 6781.

Don’t include in Part II a disposition of
any of the following.
• A position that is part of a hedging
transaction.

• A position that is part of a straddle if all
of the positions of the straddle are
section 1256 contracts.

In other words, for most run-of-the mill active investors who trade futures or options on futures,
this is of no concern.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies