Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax return keeps getting rejected for wrong AGI. I printed transcript from IRS and the numbers match. Could it have anything to do with the loss of my spouse?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Tax return keeps getting rejected for wrong AGI. I printed transcript from IRS and the numbers match. Could it have anything to do with the loss of my spouse?

If your spouse died in 2019 and is entered on your tax return letting you file as Married Filing Jointly, the IRS will often reject a return with a deceased spouse because they lock out the SSN of deceased persons to reduce tax fraud. If this is the case, you would have to print and mail your return.

If the reason given is because the AGI is wrong, you can try entering the number 0 for the AGI instead of the actual AGI. This often allows the return to be efiled. 

I would try entering 0 for AGI, it worked just now for my issue of ITIN changing to SSN.  My filing was accepted this time.

AmyR
Level 2

I submitted my parent's 2020 return and it was rejected multiple times because they could not verify last year's agi for the primary taxpayer.  Turbo Tax had brought in info from last year's return with my dad as the primary taxpayer but he died the first week of January 2021.  So I switched things all around to make my mom the primary taxpayer and their return was finally accepted.  

I am so sorry for you losses.

When you switched the primary taxpayer to be your mom, the AGI would not match the IRS database because the IRS would have your dad's social security number on file for the AGI.

But you did the right thing by switching and I am glad it was finally accepted.  In your case, it is possible that the same thing happened.  Your husband was primary and the efile is matching his AGI to the social security number.

If you created a pin last year, you can use that to file. Try filing with zero for your AGI.  And if that still gets rejected then use the option that you did not file income taxes in 2019.  The IRS does not see that question and it get you around the problem with efiling this year. 

When you enter your prior year AGI or PIN, it must match the IRS master file exactly. If your return was rejected for an AGI or PIN mismatch, it means that what you entered doesn't match their records. The IRS only requires one of these to match their records to get accepted. Most people use their prior year AGI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies