Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Someone else filed my taxes illegally what can I do? They also misspelled names and everything on it. It’s causing mine to get rejected

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Someone else filed my taxes illegally what can I do? They also misspelled names and everything on it. It’s causing mine to get rejected

If you're a victim of identity theft and someone else has used your Social Security number, you won't be able to e-file. 

Also, contact us right away. You will also want to:

1. Most importantly, follow the IRS procedures for reporting a fraudulent return. 
  2. Monitor your credit reports through TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian for any suspicious activity.
  3. File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.
  4. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at Identitytheft.gov or the FTC Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-438-4338 or TTY 1-866-653-4261. 

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit and print and mail or fax according to the instructions
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper

Additional Resources

Related Information:

Source: What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies