Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sold Rental Property in 2019 with 1/2 inherited from brother owned with JTWROS

I'm trying to figure out how to mechanically enter in Turbotax. I will try and make simple. I purchased  a rental property in 2004 with my brother. The ownership was JTWROS. Here are some financial facts. The purchase price was $880,000. My original portion would have been $440,000. I had been using the $440,000 for the annual 27.5 year depreciation. My brother died Jan 31, 2019. At that time the appraisal for the property was $585,000. Half would be $292,500. I sold the property in April 2019 for $585,000. Based on my calculations my cost basis would be ($440,000 + $292,500) $732,500. My portion of the depreciation since 2004 is $235,000. Closing costs were $41,000. So I come up with Sale Price $585,000 less Adjusted Cost Basis of $732,500 less Closing Costs of $41,000 for Loss of ($188,500). Then the depreciation recapture of $235,000, for gain of $46,500. My question(s) are can I just enter all this under the original one asset in turbo tax? All the history ripples through and the cost basis shows as $440,000. Can I just change the cost basis to the $732,500? I saw some previous discussions that instructed add an additional asset. The issue with that is how would I show the sale for the inherited portion of the additional asset? Any comments/advice are very much appreciated.

Thanks

Neilio

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hoping someone can provide any insights.

Thanks

Neil

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

I agree that an additional asset should be added for the inherited portion.  In order to calculate the sale, you would prorate the sales price and expenses 50/50, which would achieve the same gain amount. (Your portion would generate a gain that would  be reduced by the loss on the inherited side of the sale).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for response!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies