turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Says my return was rejected and that I need to fix it. Whenever I click on the button through the email it asks me to log in but doesn't allow me to fix it, only refile.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Says my return was rejected and that I need to fix it. Whenever I click on the button through the email it asks me to log in but doesn't allow me to fix it, only refile.

Try these steps to correct your return in TurboTax:

Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button. Follow any “fix it” instructions to update the information causing the rejection.

Not all rejections will have explicit guides to fix the information. You’ll need to navigate to the program area to address the cause of the rejection, then proceed to the final step.

If what you originally entered is correct, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, a dependent that's already been claimed, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In these cases, go ahead and file a paper return, rather than wasting your time trying to "fix" something you can't fix.

To Re-File your return and if you were guided through fixing your reject, select the option to refile when you’ve finished.

When you’ve finished, select File in the left-hand menu (mobile devices: go to the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then select File). Follow the onscreen instructions to either e-file your return or file by mail.

If you get the same rejection a second time and you see no mistakes on your return, select the File by mail option to paper-file your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I completed my income taxes this morning and it was rejected because I put in the wrong EIN.  How do I fix this?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

You have to log back into TurboTax and do the correction before trying to re-file.

pSilvey48

I can't seem to get signed in to my account.  Please help!

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

This link to the TurboTax page Account Recovery Request for your TurboTax Account has information on how to recover your TurboTax account.

Rony1221

How can I fix it?

After selecting Refile it takes me to Turbotax payment

they spelt Alfred last name wrong on social security paper work his name is Alfred R Letourneau NOT Lefourneau the f is suppose to be t

ok I will try

How can I fix a rejected file on the desktop software?  All the information seems to be for the online version.  I can't follow the directions in the rejection email because when I open my file there is no "fix my return" option. 

I got a number to call turbotax and got a case number but cannot find it, and can't

jaybr79

Right, very frustrating.  I've found the issue, but the software won't let me check the right box.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

I suggest contacting us for assistance by clicking the Help button on the top menu bar.

1. Then select TurboTax Help Center.
  2. A popup window will pop up and allow you to type in a search or ask for help.
  3. Once you type in your information here, you will also be prompted to have someone call you if needed on the next screen.  You will need to enter your information in this section.

This will allow you to get product support.

firecoke911
Returning Member

I had entered the wrong dates at the top of 8453-FE.  Please let me make the necessary corrections.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies