Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

janetcur
Returning Member

Sale of House

I have a 1099-s form with Gross proceeds of $520,000.  My net income was $484,4999.4.  Is there a form besides form 8949 to report the sale of a house?  Is there a place to deduct the title and real estate fees?

Also, is there a place to enter the market value of my property and if so how would that affect taxes owed?

I understand that there is an automatic subtraction of $250,000 from the gross proceeds, is that true?

Is the income from the sale of my house taxed as ordinary income in addition to capital gains? 

Is there a place to list property improvements and how would that affect taxes owed?  I have moved from Utah to Arizona.  I assume that I won't owe AZ income tax but how will Utah tax the proceeds from the sale of my house?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarthaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Sale of House

Hello my friend and thank you for your question

If you sold your primary home that you have lived in it for more than 2 year out of five years you owned it and you have not sold other home within 2 years, then you can exclude gains up to $250,000 if single or $500,000 if married filing jointly.

If you are using Turbo Tax you will go to Sale of Home on Less Common Income in Wages & Income.  It will ask you for the selling price and sales expenses.   Sale expenses are the following, which you can find it in the sellers column of the settlement contract;

- Commissions

- Appraisal fees

- Broker's fees

- Legal fees

- Advertising fees

- Home inspection reports

- Title insurance

- Transfer taxes or fees

- Geological surveys

- Loan charges or points

- Any fees

There is no effect on the market value of your property.  You normally use the cost basis of your property to calculate the gain.  The cost basis is the cost of your property, plus any improvements.  If you used your home for business purposes you need to subtract depreciation, such as home office or rented to the cost basis.

For example:  You sold your primary home that you lived for more than 5 years and did not sell other homes within 2 year.  If your property cost $210,000.00. You replace entire roof, add carpet to all the house, add another room, remodel the kitchen and bathroom for a total of $50,000.00 then the total cost basis is your cost $210,000 plus the improvements of $50,000 equals to $260,000.00.  If you sold the house for $500,000 then you made $240,000 gain.   If you are single you can exclude up to $250,000 so you do not have to pay any taxes. 

You can find more information at Publication 523 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

Also you can find at https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc701

I hope this answered your question

Martha 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RSUMan
Employee Tax Expert

Sale of House

If you are single, there is an Exclusion of $250,00 of the gain on sale of primary residence (assuming you lived in the house 2 of the last 5 years).  Thus, it is not true that there is an automatic deduction of $250,000 from the gross proceeds.

The real estate commission and other closing costs do get deducted.  You start with the gross proceeds of $520,000 and then deduct the selling expenses and the you deduct your cost of the property plus all of the improvements (your cost plus the improvements are referred to as "Basis" in tax speak).

If you complete the calculations and your gain is $250,000, then you owe no tax on the sale.

Utah state income tax begins with Federal Adjusted Gross Income, so if gain is excluded for Federal income tax purposes, it does not affect your Utah income tax liability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies