Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Repayment of signing bonus in subsequent year

Hello

i received a large sign on bonus in 2019 for a new job and I am thinking of leaving the job This year. I know I will need to repay back the sign on prorated and it would be over 3k. My question is.. if my employer does not give me a W2 for 2020 showing the repayment amount (since I’m not sure if they are federally/legally required to reflect the repayment amount)... would I still be able to claim that amount back on my year 2020 tax return? Thank you 

Actually I was wondering, is an employer required by law to provide a corrected w2 showing the sign on bonus repayment from the employee? Thank you!! 

@JJoli wrote:

Hello

i received a large sign on bonus in 2019 for a new job and I am thinking of leaving the job This year. I know I will need to repay back the sign on prorated and it would be over 3k. My question is.. if my employer does not give me a W2 for 2020 showing the repayment amount (since I’m not sure if they are federally/legally required to reflect the repayment amount)... would I still be able to claim that amount back on my year 2020 tax return? Thank you 

Your best option is to ask your employer to reduce your remaining 2020 salary.  You would then get a W-2 showing what you actually received in 2020, and your 2019 W-2 would show what you actually received in 2019, and no further adjustments would be needed.

If your employer will not reduce your salary, and you repay the money out of pocket, you can take either a claim of right credit, or a special itemized deduction, on your 2020 tax return.  There should be plenty of information in the previous 5 pages of this discussion as to when you can or can't take the IRC 1341 credit versus the itemized deduction, although the exact procedure for claiming the credit will have to be re-checked when the IRS releases the 2020 tax return forms. 

@JJoli wrote:

Actually I was wondering, is an employer required by law to provide a corrected w2 showing the sign on bonus repayment from the employee? Thank you!! 

Your W-2 must show what you were actually paid in salary and benefits.  If you give them enough notice, and they are willing to reduce your salary on your last few paychecks to repay the bonus, then your W-2 would show what you were actually paid and that's the end of it.  You and the employer are even and both 2019 and 2020 W-2s show what you were actually paid.

If you don't give notice or they don't want to process a salary reduction, and you pay them back after you have left the company, they could possibly still net out the W-2 but it is more paperwork for them or their payroll company and it probably won't happen. 

But I already paid tax on the sign on bonus and post tax I got less than half of it. My salary and the sign on are entirely different things. I thought the whole point of reporting the sign on repayment on tax return is to recover the taxes I already paid for the sign on bonus. when I pay back the prorated sign on (the pre-tax amount prorated) after working for 12 months it would be a higher amount than what I had received post-tax (which is quite ridiculous).  So I’d be paying back more than what I had received in total since they gave me the post-tax amount of the sign on. 

@JJoli wrote:

But I already paid tax on the sign on bonus and post tax I got less than half of it. My salary and the sign on are entirely different things. I thought the whole point of reporting the sign on repayment on tax return is to recover the taxes I already paid for the sign on bonus. when I pay back the prorated sign on (the pre-tax amount prorated) after working for 12 months it would be a higher amount than what I had received post-tax (which is quite ridiculous).  So I’d be paying back more than what I had received in total since they gave me the post-tax amount of the sign on. 

That's why its better to get the employer to reduce your salary instead, and that't what the IRC 1341 claim of right credit is.

Suppose the bonus is a gross of $10,000.  Your actual take home might have been around $6000 (even in California, you would probably pay 24% federal, at most 10% state, and 7.65% social security and medicare, which is 42% more or less.). Withholding might have been more, but the real impact on your tax return would have been those percentages at your tax bracket and if you were over-withheld, it came back in your refund.

So you grossed $10,000 and paid let's say $2400 in federal tax, $1000 in state tax and $765 in social security and medicare.

Now you repay $10,000 (the gross amount).  On your federal tax return you claim an IRC 1341 claim of right credit for $2400, that reduces your tax for 2020 or increases your refund.  You take a similar claim of right credit on your state tax return for $1000, which reduces your state tax or increases your refund.  Now at worst, you are just out the $765 in social security and medicare tax.  There is no way to get that back on your tax returns.  Someone here once mentioned a form their accountant submitted directly to the social security administration, but I don't know anything about that.  If you can't get it back, then at least it stays in the social security system and adds to your disability and retirement credits.

A smart and generous employer would let you pay back just $9235 instead of the full $10,000, so you are made whole on the social security and medicare tax as well, but whether or not it is required would depend on your contract and maybe state law.  

On the other hand, suppose your employer reduces your gross salary by $5000 a month for the last two months.  Because your salary is lower, your income tax withholding will be lower as well as your social security and medicare tax. The end result would be the same as if you got no bonus, but got paid your last 2 month's salary when you were hired instead of when you quit.  

Suppose your salary is $10,000 per month and your bonus was $10,000, and you worked from 7/1/2019 to 6/30/2020.  With no bonus and no repayment, you would gross $60,000 in 2019 and $60,000 in 2020.  With a bonus that was repaid with a salary reduction, you gross $70,000 in 2019 and $50,000 in 2020, and both ways your net after taxes is around $70,000.  Comes out the same in the end.  If you instead repay the bonus separately, you gross $70,000 in 2019 and $60,000 in 2020, with a net of maybe $75,000.  Then you repay $10,000 gross (take you down to $65,000), and get $3400 in tax credits, bringing your net back up to around $68,400.  Almost but not quite made whole.  (My numbers are crude and sloppy.  If you use the claim of right credit on both your federal and state return, you are only "out" the social security and medicare tax on the bonus.)

Ok thank you. So the IRC 1341 claim of right credit can be used If my employer does not give me a corrected 2019 w2 or if they do not adjust my 2020 w2 to reflect the repayment (like by reducing my salary)? 
Thank you!! 

@JJoli wrote:

Ok thank you. So the IRC 1341 claim of right credit can be used If my employer does not give me a corrected 2019 w2 or if they do not adjust my 2020 w2 to reflect the repayment (like by reducing my salary)? 
Thank you!! 

You won't get an adjusted 2019 W-2, put that out of your mind.  The W-2 shows the wages you actually received in the 2019 calendar year and the repayment in 2020 doesn't change that.

If the employer won't agree to accept repayment by salary reduction in 2020, then you would use the claim of right procedure on your 2020 return to get those income taxes back. 

Hi,

I am trying to follow your instruction on the desktop version :

"Go to FORMS (top right of main screen) > Form 1040 > Scroll below line 72 to "Other Payments and Credits Smart worksheet"
Please enter the credit in line D.
This credit should show up on Form 1040 line 73"

But i am not able to find the "Other Payments and Credits Smart worksheet" ? Can you please suggest what am i doing wrong. I am using Macbook.

Appreciate your help.

-AN

Those instructions are out of date.  For 2019 the credit goes on schedule three, line 13. Check box D and write IRC 1341 on the line next to box D. Enter the credit amount online 13. It may not have a smart worksheet any longer.  (For direct entry in forms mode, sometimes you can write directly on a specific line and sometimes you have to use a smart worksheet attached to that line. If you double click line 13 and you are not allowed to enter directly online 13, it should open a smart worksheet.)

agrawal_aashish
Returning Member

Hi @Opus 17 

My employer has agreed to adjust my repayment of $7k against my after-tax bonus amount, and not pre-tax bonus amount. I had initially thought they'll offset my $7k versus the pre-tax bonus amount of $10k, as the $7k is also pre-tax.

Firstly, is that the routine way to do it, and would I lose out money if they adjust it against my after-tax bonus amount?

Thanks!

@agrawal_aashish wrote:

Hi @Opus 17 

My employer has agreed to adjust my repayment of $7k against my after-tax bonus amount, and not pre-tax bonus amount. I had initially thought they'll offset my $7k versus the pre-tax bonus amount of $10k, as the $7k is also pre-tax.

Firstly, is that the routine way to do it, and would I lose out money if they adjust it against my after-tax bonus amount?

Thanks!

I don't understand what you mean.  Are you paying them out of pocket or are they taking it out of your check?

agrawal_aashish
Returning Member

Hi @Opus 17 

They're taking it out of my annual bonus check after tax.

(A) So my basic understanding is that the $7k I owe them in sign-on bonus re-payment will be adjusted against my annual bonus amount after tax. So if my gross bonus amount is ~$10k, and the after tax amount is ~$7.5k, I'll gain $500.

(B) My initial feeling was that the $7k sign on bonus will be adjusted against my pre-tax gross bonus amount $10k, and that I'd then gain $3k (and that the $3k will be taxed).

Now knowing how they're doing it, wanted to understand if adjusting repayment against after-tax annual bonus amount as laid out in (A) would result in me losing money vs. (B) and if I should push back and advocate for (B).

Thanks!

Ok, let's go back to the beginning because this discussion is now 5+ pages and there are several people's problems mixed in.  Your original post was:

Hi @Opus 17 ,

I've a similar question but slightly different. 

I received $15k signing bonus in 2019, and quit my job in 2020. I have to now repay 50% of it minus Social Security/Medicare which is approximately ~$7k. 

And your question today is,

@agrawal_aashish wrote:

Hi @Opus 17 

They're taking it out of my annual bonus check after tax.

(A) So my basic understanding is that the $7k I owe them in sign-on bonus re-payment will be adjusted against my annual bonus amount after tax. So if my gross bonus amount is ~$10k, and the after tax amount is ~$7.5k, I'll gain $500.

(B) My initial feeling was that the $7k sign on bonus will be adjusted against my pre-tax gross bonus amount $10k, and that I'd then gain $3k (and that the $3k will be taxed).

Now knowing how they're doing it, wanted to understand if adjusting repayment against after-tax annual bonus amount as laid out in (A) would result in me losing money vs. (B) and if I should push back and advocate for (B).

Thanks!

In your situation, A and B are basically the same, because the repayment is already adjusted for social security.

When you were originally paid the bonus, this $7,500 (gross) that you need to pay back was subject to -- let's estimate -- 24% federal tax of $1800, 7.65% SS/Medicare of $573, and state tax of let's say 6% = $450.

If the employer is letting you repay $7000 after-tax (or $6927), then you are already made whole on SS/Medicare, and if you file a claim of right with the IRS and your state income tax, you will be repaid the $1800 and $450.  It doesn't matter if they pay your full bonus check and you write a separate check for the $7000, or if they take it as an after-tax deduction.   You pay full tax on this year's bonus, which means you don't net a bonus in your take home pay after the $7000 after-tax deduction, but you get the $1800 and $420 state and federal claim of right tax credits on your 2020 tax returns.

If instead, the employer reduced your bonus by $7500 pre-tax, you would see something in your bonus check now, but you could not take the claim of right credits on your tax returns since you repaid the 2019 bonus with pre-tax instead of after-tax dollars.  It's a wash.

It's less paperwork for you if they pre-taxed your repayment, and it changes when you see the money, but the net cost/benefit to you is the same. 

agrawal_aashish
Returning Member

Hi @Opus 17 

Firstly, thanks so much for your insightful answers! 

To make sure I'm understanding correctly, in my current scenario where my ex-employer is adjusting my bonus repayment ($7k i.e. less SS/medicare) against my after-tax annual bonus, I forgo my $1800 and $420 state and federal claim of right tax credits on the 2020 tax returns? Is that correct?

And if so, it sounds like I don't lose out on any money versus cutting them a check of $7k, and then receiving my annual bonus separately?

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies