Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wdh1219
Returning Member

Regarding 1099 Misc and buisness income 1040

Hi my wife has a W-2 (married filing jointly), but my wife and I also worked part-time as a language instructor for a very short period of time (less than 1 month) and earned 126 USD total last year.

For 126 USD, I received 1099 MISC and I am trying to report this income to IRS.

1. But my first problem is that it seems like because of this 1099 MISC and 126 USD of additional income I need to claim myself as a sole business proprietor and need to fill out so many questions. Isn't there any way I don't have to claim myself as a sole business proprietor?

2. In addition, it seems like my total income has increased by 126 *2 =252 USD instead of 126 USD.

I am trying to fix this error but can't really figure out where to find it.  In other words, it seems like <wages, salaries, tips, etc. attach Forms W-2> section has already included this 126 USD additional income but <7a Other income from schedule 1, Line9> is showing 126 USD again, so the total income has increased by 252 USD when It should have just increased by 126 USD.

Can anyone please help me on this matter? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JBH0
Level 2

Regarding 1099 Misc and buisness income 1040

unfortunately, if you received a 1099-MISC, you are supposed to file schedule C (at least as I understand it).

There is a schedule c-ez that may be applicable for you.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/video-what-is-schedule-c-ez-profit-or-loss...

I'm not sure why your income is double counting.  It shouldn't.   Make sure it isn't in two different places.   Perhaps you entered it in the 1099, and then entered it again somewhere else?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies