Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dec1000
Returning Member

Received a 1099-Q

I received a 1099-Q showing me as the recipent. Box 1 had an amount in it, 2 and 3 had zero in them, box 4 is not checked, box 5 Coverdell Esa is checked and box 6 has nothing in it. I never asked for a distribution and never received any. How could someone get a distribution from it without my consent. I am 23 years old and work full time and go to school less than half time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Received a 1099-Q

call the financial organization that sent you the document and ask them for an explanation  

this form is used for distributions from a 529 plan that are used to pay for education..  Is there a 529 plan in your name set up by a family member?  You did mention you are in school. 

dec1000
Returning Member

Received a 1099-Q

I am finding out that there was a Coverdell ESA set up with me being the beneficiary. It is looking like the person that set it up, and made a withdraw, and used the money for something else, and because my name and social is on there as beneficiary, I got the 1099-Q. Am I just stuck to include it on my tax return? Again I work full time and attend school less than half time and I am 23 years old.

Received a 1099-Q

dec1000
Returning Member

Received a 1099-Q

Thanks for the link, I understand what the 1099-Q is. The 1099-Q is showing me as the recipient and I never received any money. Just to be blunt about it, my parent received the money either by getting the bank to send a check in their name, or in my name, and they forged the check and now I have to pay the taxes and penalties.

Received a 1099-Q

best to discuss with your parents and / or ask the administrator for a copy of the cancelled check 

good luck 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies