turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question regarding Worked outside the U.S.

Hello, I'm from Ukraine, I had L1-B visa and I worked and lived in the US for nearly 3 years.
In June 2019 I relocated back to Ukraine and stopped working for my previous employer I used to work in the USA. So my income in W2 only relates to what I got from my previous employer in 2019 in the US.

When I came back to Ukraine I found a new job in a couple of months.
My question is what do I need to answer in this question "Worked outside the U.S. - I worked outside the U.S. for an employer that wasn't the U.S. government or its agencies."
If I came back to Ukraine  do I need to file my Ukrainian income somehow (and I pay taxes in Ukraine) if it doesn't relate to my previous employer in the US at all? And should I indicate the equivalent of hryvnyas in dollars? 
Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Question regarding Worked outside the U.S.

Your situation is described in the Dual-Status Alien and Last Year of Residency sections of IRS Publication 519.

If you qualify to for the termination of your U.S. residency on the last day you were in the U.S., you will file a Form 1040 for the period that ends when you left the U.S.  If that is the case, you can answer no the question about working outside the U.S., because you didn't while you were a resident alien.

If you did not have U.S. income after you left the U.S., you do not need to file a tax return in the U.S. for period after you left the U.S., and the currency conversion won't be necessary.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies