Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

" Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet." not showing

Looking for the Qual/Div worksheet, also called " Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet." but it doesn't show in my list (forms view).

Also, why can't you sort that list? It doesn't seem to have any order whatsoever.  I'd love to just have is sorted alphabetically.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

At the top of the forms list, click the Open Form icon. In the search box type "qualified dividend" - singular, without the quotes. The Qualified Dividend and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet will then appear in the selection list. You can select it and open it.

But if it's not in the list of forms in your return, that means it's not being used to calculate your tax. To see what form or worksheet is being used to calculate your tax, look at the checkboxes in the Tax Smart Worksheet between lines 15 and 16 of the Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR Worksheet.

Thanks, that was the answer, it's not being used.  But I've done a few iterations as I've checked and double checked my entries and it was there the other day - I printed it out.

I was wondering when it'll use the Qual/Div or the Sched D worksheet and ran across this.

The regular tax on line 16 of Form 1040 and Form 1040-NR will be calculated on the Schedule D Tax Worksheet if neither Form 8615 nor Schedule J are used and the following conditions are met:

• there is a net long-term capital gain on line 15 of Schedule D and
  • after combining short-term losses, if any, there is an overall capital gain on line 16 of Schedule D and
  • there is an amount subject to the 28% rate gain on Schedule D, line 18 or
  • there is unrecaptured Section 1250 gain on line 19 of Schedule D

In my case it was the last bullet item that triggered it.

As I investigate further on whether Sched D or the Qual/Div worksheet is used, I am more confused.

Line 22 of Sched D says that if you have qualified dividends to use the Qual/Div worksheet and not Sched D, but the instructions which I put in my previous post, the fourth item says if you have unrecaptured Sec 1250 gain then use Shed D.

TT has a checkbox on Sched D that asks if you have qualified dividends and in my case it's unchecked, but clearly it should be checked.

SINCE THIS IS A NEW TOPIC, I AM GOING TO START A NEW THREAD.

This sounds like a bug.  Am I wrong and which method should be used to calculate my taxes?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I just went through the program to try to duplicate your issue. I entered $5000 ordinary/qualified dividends and in Box 2b $2,500 in unrecap Section 1250. Here are my forms. Each entry has its own worksheet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies